Sign in to follow this  
pilF

C4D sculpt baked to redshift

I've posted this on the RS forum too with no answer yet. The problem is I cannot find the correct procedure to bake and connect textures of a C4D sculpt to RS.  So I've scuplted this quad ball in C4D and it renders fine in RS but it has a large polycount. Bake to the rescue ...

2004742938_Snapshotsculptredshift.thumb.jpg.79302fee2064794878e07a869a519fc4.jpg

Only to find that I usually end up with something like this no matter what setting  or procedure:

1448758819_Snapshotrgbxyzobjecttoredshift.thumb.jpg.3a737688cc4c30dbe2b2591db27f14bc.jpg

I've baked out 8K textures and stored them on my server here

It's a normal map and a displacement map. Any suggestions on what procedure to follow ?

Philip

It's a follow up on this post actually https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/105643-sculpt-displacement-to-redshift-problem/

sculpt c4d to rs.c4d

Edited by pilF

Hi Philip.

Thanks for adding the scene, I cant open it yet as my system is busy rendering but here are a few things to check.

First thing is are you after a Bump map or a Displacement map?  In either case for that sculpt 8k is not needed, 2k should be fine.  If your doing the baking within C4D which I assume you are then make sure your baking and checked with C4D that its working before moving on to RS.  If its working in C4D then it will in RS.  Now when you bake a sculpt in C4D it should produce a low res version of the high res sculpt and set up the C4D material for you.  In this material you can locate the file and copy this location for RS although your better off storing the displacement or bump in a proper location such as your project folder.  One way is after the bake is to save your C4D scene with assets.

When it comes to RS you need a RS material, a Displacement node, or for bump a bump node.  Your need a texture node to load your bump or displacement map into.  For the bump node select the type such as Tangent Space for normal map.  For displacement you need to do a little more.  With a 16bit displacement its grey scale so it uses a negative and positive value to push and pull the surface.  In the Displacement node you need to change the new Min and Max to Min -0.5 and Max to 0.5  this indicates a 50% grey scale either way.  Now plug the Displacement node into the shader displacement slot, and the texture node into the displacement texture slot.  You need a RS object tag on the object and make sure your override the tessellation and turn that on, and turn on displacement too.

If this is too hard to follow writen I can make a short video but it will be later on as Im super busy.

Dan

Dan thanks for your eleborate reply, I think the problem for me lies in the exact settings of the baking process, object versus tangent to get the correct vector displacement. A few screenshots of the bake settings and the nodes would suffice but if you can manage a video that would be great too.

Philip

Il do a video showing displacement.  Note iv just logged a bug that shows in R20/21 baking does not work with Tiff or PSD so I will use PNG format.

Dan

I was making the video on laptop and wondered why things were not going so well, it was the dreaded RS licence which I can't release remotely.  Main PC which its locked to is doing what I thought was a quick windows update, nope not so quick its been updating for last hour and at 27% so cant do the video until it done.  I hope RS gets this licence thing sorted as its a pain, and big pain.

I will post the video up later on when I can gain access to PC.

Dan

Ah murphy's law in action. I do appreciate the effort though.

Here is the video. give it 5 min to process.

Thank you Dan this clarifies a lot, especially the settings bit. Didn't know tiff was causing problems and didn't realise the uv might be crooked. Posted your video on the redshift forum too.

Over at redshift Darby Edelen wrote this procedure about vector displacement:

https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/24170/#153335

I’ve spent some time exploring this.

It turns out that the vector displacement maps that C4D bakes out can be used, but they require precise settings and some manipulation of the resulting data.

First the bake settings. When using Bake Sculpt Objects make sure that you disable Include Top Levels on the Options tab and choose Level 0 for your Target Object. You’ll want to use the RGB (XYZ Tangent) method on the Settings tab and also enable Round Geometry. After you bake with these settings you’ll get a standard C4D material in the scene. Make note of the Height value on the Displacement tab in this material, this will be your displacement scale later on.

The RGB values do not map properly for Redshift. You’ll need to swap the Green and Blue channels and then invert the resulting (new) Blue channel. You can either do this in the shader graph using Color Splitter, Color Maker and Color Change Range nodes or in an external application (After Effects or Nuke are good options). Enter 1/2 of the Height value you noted before on the Displacement node and set the Output Range to -1 to 1 (the change to the output range effectively multiplies the scale by 2 which is why you use 1/2 the height value).

In the Redshift Object tag you’ll first want to disable auto bump mapping (which gives really weird results). Then you need to make sure that your Maximum Displacement is greater than or equal to the height value (i.e. >= 2x the displacement node scale). Lastly if you change the UV tiling of the material or apply the material to an object with UV tiles that are smaller in world space you’ll need to reduce the Displacement Scale in the Redshift Object tag. If you tile the displacement 4 times on the original base sculpt geometry you’d want to set the displacement scale to 0.25 (1/4).

If you want more detail without the high levels of subdivision you can also bake out a normal map from the sculpt object. This is covered in one of the C4D documentation links I provided before, but the gist of it is that if you had a sculpt object with 7 levels you’d export the vector displacement using level 5 as the source and 0 as the target, then separately export the normals using level 7 as the source and 5 as the target. In that way the first 5 levels should be covered by displacement and the last 2 by normals. I haven’t tested that workflow with Redshift though.