Sign in to follow this  
GazzaMataz

Redshift - Not entirely convinced

I have just started to use Redshift on a major project that I get every year and whilst the render quality looks somewhat better than Advanced Renderer does I am not entirely convinced it is that much faster… I have tow 980ti which are bit old but still do the job. So I have rendered both a Redshift version of a scene and an Advanced Render version and there is not much in it…

Redshift does do metals better and glass but there doesn't seem to be the speed increase I was expecting.

Lets see the comparison then!

There are a few things to take into account with RS. Upping the Samples Max, or having a higher Passes set will have a bigger impact than if you used the sampling overide and crank up light samples for instance.  You can realy push the samples quite high while having the Samples Max lower.  If your using v3.0.16 then you may want to try the automatic sampling.

When I first got RS I was using Vray.  Now Vray was significantly faster than Advanced Renderer but RS was way faster than Vray on a old GTX 780 6gb card.  Its of course very scene dependant.   A thing that I was doing at the start was using C4D own SDS tag where I should have been using RS object tag to do this  job.  RS is very efficient with Displacements due to its auto bump mapping which is on by default, this saves loads of time.  Maybe you can post your comparison up, show the RS settings.

Dan

For the most if you are not seeing a noticeable speed increase.. your setting are wrong would be my guess. even on a 980ti. 

Unrelated but that new "free" Altus denoising now with RS 3 is super impressive, just testing it out and can render a full head of hair with Ornatrix with dynamics on with settings that can do it in 10 sec per frame and Altus is cleaning it right up.  Im running RS on a 2080ti

Dan

• Topic Author
  • OK I cannot show you two better examples due to NDAs but here are a couple of frames from a personal project, one in Redshift the other in AR.

Obviously the AR version has a light source acting as mist but I don't know how to achieve the same effect in Redshift. Render times where 80 secs for the AR version 43 seconds for the Redshift version thought I dare say that if the Redshift version had the mist that would be slightly longer.

Not a huge difference - apart from the mist?

Graveyard & Mist HD Redshift f353 v04.jpg

Graveyard & Mist HD f353 v05.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Here is the scene again without the mist light so probably a bit better for comparison.

Graveyard & Mist HD f353 No Mist v05.jpg

• Topic Author
  • On 2/18/2020 at 12:29 PM, Rectro said:

A thing that I was doing at the start was using C4D own SDS tag where I should have been using RS object tag to do this  job.  RS is very efficient with Displacements due to its auto bump mapping which is on by default, this saves loads of time.  Maybe you can post your comparison up, show the RS settings.

Dan

This is something I forgot about but am keen to try. When animating characters with SDS on them C4D crawls so I always have them turned off. I also find that when you have several characters in a scene C4D crawls. I am gonna see if this speeds things up.

Also I noticed peeps are using Redshift 3.00 whereas the official 2.6.5 is the production version - is version 3 safe?

20 hours ago, GazzaMataz said:

This is something I forgot about but am keen to try. When animating characters with SDS on them C4D crawls so I always have them turned off. I also find that when you have several characters in a scene C4D crawls. I am gonna see if this speeds things up.

Also I noticed peeps are using Redshift 3.00 whereas the official 2.6.5 is the production version - is version 3 safe?

Im using 3:16 its quit stable but it does vary from user to user as to what system they have, and plugins.  I have Ornatrix plugin for instance, that makes Redshift very unstable. but thats a QT issues so wouldn't matter if its was 2.6 or v3 I guess.  Try version 3 out, see how you get on, you can always roll back.

Dan