Sign in to follow this  
NoWizardJustYet

Contracting animation of a maggot

Hi,

I hope maybe someone can help with this. I want a maggot to be contracting during movement. So the head pulls forward with the maggot stretching and then the rest follows. The problem I have with a rig and IK is that it does not contract. I could pull off a snake-like movement but the bones cannot pull inwards and overlap each other. Now I'm wondering is spline IK the way to go here? Ideally I would like to have a goal where the head is with which I can move the body and the contracting movement happens through IK on its own but I don't know if that's even possible?

It would be super cool if someone more advanced could help me out. 🙂 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-18 um 19.41.44.png

Spline IK with Type set to "Equal" will give you the squash and stretch.... using the Null Handles you'll create. Also, set skin object to: Length-Volume Scale.

This isn't perfect but might get you closer or give you ideas. Also depends on what kind of control you need. Hit play when you open the file. Hope that helps!

Maggot.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Wow, you are a life-saver! Thank you so much! Even building the maggot. 😄 Looks way better than mine. 😉 That definitely helped! I already messed around with spline IK but I could not get that nice contraction. Now the thing I'm wondering is- can I use a Spline IK AND an IK Tag on a Rig? The maggot has to crawl over several objects so it would e nice to have the IK following and bending but I could not yet find a way to have both tags on one rig. When I added the IK tag the spline tag does not work anymore. Is there a workaround?

I'd love to attach my file but I can't since it's "commercial", well at least it will be part of a performance. But basically I have a similar Rig, just no controllers.

• Topic Author
  • Or is it possible to adjust the IK tag in a way, where the bones with the movement sort of "slide into each other" if you know what I mean. Combining the movement and the contraction would be amazing.

Well, there's probably many ways to get there... depending on how realistic you need it to be. How much control you need, etc. 

In this file, you have the handles to control the movement. I have a basic inch worm type deal here... seems like a maggots movements might be a little more spastic at times. I have a spline deformer beneath the joints to keep it on a path that you could generate based on the geometry in your scene. You could also add a Displacer Deformer between the Skin Object and the Spline Wrap with the noise set to world space so that the maggot crawls through it and gives it that ripple effect as the back end catches up... it will be stylized but might work. You could also consider creating your own animated texture for that. I would watch as much footage as you can and really decide what you need to happen and what kind of control you need. Hope that helps!

Maggot2.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Yes, this is what I have been looking for!! Amazing! Never heard of Spline Wrap before but I'm still new to Cinema. But this looks like it might just work for me. Since I have 15 of those little maggots and by the end of the animation there are supposed to be at least triple, it's also a good idea to animate it along splines. So when we need to adjust something to the music it's easier to slow things down or have them go another way. I will now study this spline wrap. It might also be nice not to deal with IK dynamics. 

This community here is so quick and helpful, it's awesome. 🙂 I hope I get to the level where at some point I can help others.