Sign in to follow this  
twistereli

Aligning a landscape to a road (not the other way around)

So I'm working on a project where there is a predefined road. 

It is just a sweep on a curvy spline that goes in all directions. It's really long btw, so I'm not looking for manual modeling.

I need to get a landscape right under that road, so it connects. The logical thing to do would be getting wider sweep that represents the land, then resculpt that a bit.

The problem is that such wide sweeps intersect in tight corners, making it useless even after smoothing with the sculpt tools. 

My question is if there is any way to just have a landscape object for example and sort of line it up with the road sweep?

So that's the other way around of having a landscape and projecting the spline on it. The thing that usually happens.

21 minutes ago, twistereli said:

My question is if there is any way to just have a landscape object for example and sort of line it up with the road sweep?

No there isn't. Hard to know what to suggest instead without actually having the file or at least seeing the road sweep...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No there isn't. Hard to know what to suggest instead without actually having the file or at least seeing the road sweep...

CBR

Currently I'm trying with a loft object. It gives the closest result.

Smoothing out the creases is manageable. But it would be better if they weren't there to begin with.

1 thing I'm not sure of is how to end the loft in a square shape, if possible. For now I added a U-shape on both sides to fake it.

Can't really share the file, so sticking with screenshots for now

Schermopname (449).png

Schermopname (450).png

8 minutes ago, twistereli said:

1 thing I'm not sure of is how to end the loft in a square shape, if possible.

Yes that is possible - if it isn't working for you then there is some other reason for that.

Why can't you share the file - I seriously doubt that any single spline curve in isolation could possibly be construed as infraction of an NDA !?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 11 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes that is possible - if it isn't working for you then there is some other reason for that.

Why can't you share the file - I seriously doubt that any single spline curve in isolation could possibly be construed as infraction of an NDA !?

CBR

You're right, it just has given conflicts in the past with other stuff.
    Anyway, here is the isolated spline/road + the loft I have for now. Created the extra splines with the "create outline" feature.

road_landscape.c4d

How about a landscape with a collision deformer, maybe you can kind of push the road into it.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, deck said:

How about a landscape with a collision deformer, maybe you can kind of push the road into it.

Deck

Tried that, but it looks like I need an insane amount of subdivisions for it to be somewhat clean.

The road is far denser topology than it needs to be to describe those curves. If you could thin that out a bit to just the polygons necessary, then manually extracting a usable surrounding surface from it wouldn't be that much work...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 44 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

The road is far denser topology than it needs to be to describe those curves. If you could thin that out a bit to just the polygons necessary, then manually extracting a usable surrounding surface from it wouldn't be that much work...

CBR

It indeed is very dense. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to alter it because camera motion and xpresso depend on it.
    Thank you for looking into it regardless. Mostly wanted to verify I'm not overlooking a better method of doing this.

I haven't thought of one yet where the word manual doesn't feature heavily...

But, if we scale down both the road and the plane to 10% of what they are now, the brush tool in smear and smooth modes suddenly becomes useful in that now its maximum size isn't pathetically small compared to the mesh. And if I can spend just 5 minutes with that tool I can get pretty damn close to the road, and then use noise maps in displacers (falling off so they don't affect the road section) to add landscape type detail back into the rest of it... (didn't do that bit in the example below, so your would look loads better if you did...

image.thumb.png.4da6d1d83a9a6769eac722097fb326b4.png

You can also keep flicking through landscape seeds until you find one that vaguely doesn't intersect the road too much, and use that as your starting point.

With half an hours more effort I reckon you could get that close and realistic enough to be feasible. Also, if you dragged out a few polys from either side of your road you would have some geometry to blend into the landscape, which would mean you wouldn't even have to match the base plane to the road so exactly, saving further refinement work ?

CBR