Sign in to follow this  
Theo alran

Redshift rendering issue...

Hi !

I have an issue while rendering an scene, hightlights from my environement HDRI seams burned, and the towel disapear. All look fine in progressive rendering but when I switch to bucket it's a disaster... I think there is a simple presets to tweak.

I'm using a HDRI map as a environnement, a physical sun and a portal light.

thx

Théo

bucket.png

progressive.png

gi.png

• Topic Author
  • It seems to be the portal light I cranked to 40 in intensity multiplier that cause over exposure, but the rest of the scene is good lighted.... here is the render view

(I turn of the physical sun so it's not the problem)

how can I use a portal to have enought light without burning my highlights ? 

thx

portal.png

burned.png

Try turning that Portal light off and then Secondary GI on. If it's your portal light creating the window highlight it's as you say too strong. If you have your environment light shining through the window it should cause the wall illumination and by having secondary GI it should bounce that light around inside the room which is what light does.

Looks like you are using a low sample setting overall - is that correct?

• Topic Author
  • hi !

thx for your answer. If I turn the portal off and set the second GI on Irradiance Point Cloud (for example) I'm loosing a lot of light... I don't understand why portal light is burning my texture this way, even when I decrease the multiplier to 10 (see attach).

Yes I'm using a low sample overall because i'm using the sampling overrides when it's render time 🙂 you suggest I need to increase that ? 

thx

test.png

I am not a Redshift expert more like a beginner but I have lit a few scenes in my time. What it looks like is you have your environment light for the background, a portal light for the window and then your sunlight. Think of the scene in terms of real world lighting. So in theory you would have the environment light and a sunlight shining through the window. That light would then bounce around the room and illuminate it somewhat. I'd be inclined to ditch the portal light or increase it's samples since it is fuzzy then take a look at the scene. If the room it still too dark for you then increase the amount of bounced light or cheat and add an area light using low intensity (simulating bounced light) facing into the room - give that a go. The sunlight through the window should still provide the light on the wall. You might even change the sunlight for a spotlight and add some god rays 🙂

Thing to think about is if you take a picture of someone with the sun behind them they always come out dark and you usually have to overexpose the picture, kinda similar to what is happening here. HTH.

Actually watch this video it is something I would recommend to all 3D artists 🙂

• Topic Author
  • thx for your answer. I would use a sky + sun  and a backplate for the exterior instead of using an HDRI lightning... I think using HDRI is not the optimal way to light an interior arch scene.