Sign in to follow this  
NoWizardJustYet

"Bake" several object buffers into one matte

Hi there 🙂

I have animated a scene with 15 insects and want to export a matte for all 15 of them. Now I added 15 objects buffers but for some reason it takes a looooong time to render and it renders each object buffer into each one png sequence. Now I don't need that, I want one png sequence for all these 15 maggots so I can easily apply it in After Effects. I tried putting the compositing tag on a null but it did not seem to work. Is there a way to just quickly put out an alpha for this?

In the file there are several other objects in front of and between the maggots. Because it would have taken 13 hours to render and since I have the exact same scene except for the maggots in After Effects, I thought it would be smart to render only the maggots and use object buffers. But it stills takes about 10 hours and it does not only generate the object buffer file but also an output file even though I disabled "save" on the output.

It'd be awesome if you guys had tip for me since I'm also close to a deadline with rendering. I thought this would be very easy and quick to render since it's only an alpha matte but I guess not.

A work around would be to put a white luminent material on the maggots and a 100% black on everything else, get rid of all the lights and render that, should be pretty quick as its just black and white.

Deck

As for the multi pass alpha , i think you just have to give all the objects the same buffer ID, so just put the tag on the first one and set to buffer 1, and copy to anything else you want in the same alpha.

Deck