Sign in to follow this  
Langley

Excluding relections

Hi all

Ive recently got right into Octane and so far am loving the instant feedback. I have come across some issues though that the native render and settings seem to do much better. The main one though which im finding is that if I want to exclude a floor reflecting (through the comp tag) into my objects for a packaging visual its near enough impossible or am I going about it wrong way? Im attaching a visual (screen shot) that appears from the Octane Master Course where its quite clear that the lights go from the base of the objects to the tops without the floor being reflected. So my question to any Octane experts out there is, is this possible or would it have to be done in post or as two renders comped together after?

Thanks in advance

Lang

Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 20.27.58 copy.jpg

Not an octane user but in regular cinema you could exclude the floor from the light creating the reflection down the can.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Deck. Yes I know its possible with cinema 4d native and the comp tag but thats why im asking here to see if anyone knows hows it can be done with Octane.

Lang

Octane is pretty restrictive when it comes to stuff like this as it doesn't allow to "cheat" very much. As far as I know there's not really a way to exclude objects from other objects reflections unless you're working with lights / emissive textures.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you DasFrodo.

Im beginning to think Octane, whilst is amazing for some stuff is quite restrictive when it comes to simple stuff like omitting a reflection of something that you dont want to appear, its a shame. That said though if you look at the example of the render that I attached it quite clearly shows the light reflections running the length of the drinks can. Im thinking then that this could only be done one of two ways, either there is a way to exclude the reflection of the floor from the can or it was done as post. What you reckon?

Im think im going to email the guy who has this course and see if he replies.

Cheers

Lang