Sign in to follow this  
munkittrick

Seems simple...but it eludes me...

Hi guys,

First, I apologize if this is the incorrect place for this...but I'm actually at the rendering stage...and it's an issue...so, please bear with me.

I've got a rather sizeable "sandbox" city created for a project with a lot of distant objects, many of which are unseen depending upon the camera used for the render. There are well over 3.5 mil polys (AFTER melting, merging and reducing non essential polys) if you count everything from the Church spires to the mailboxes. This scene is, essentially a "world" with clouds, distant aircraft and so on.

My question is this; Is there a means to set up all of my scene cameras to utilize the high-poly objects when they are a within a specified distance/range from the camera while utilizing minimally textured, low-poly models to use in the background?

My initial plan was to use an effector in conjunction with a "field" with a soft fall-off to seamlessly swap high-poly to low-poly once outside of the field...but it doesn't offer very good results...and almost bogs down on the scene when I so much tweak the camera. I'm running a monster of a computer (AMD Ryzen 9 3950X, Dual nVidia RTX 2080i in SLI mode with just over 60GB of available RAM)...and rendering everything in high-poly isn't really that bad while I render stills....but ma-a-a-a-n, animating this scene is just crazy!

THANK YOU!

• Topic Author
  • By the way, this is one of the options that I tried, and it's great for allowing for faster viewport feedback, but it's not really speeding up render.

Take advantage of LOD 🙂

You seem to be after the sort of functionality that is normally only found inside game engines. R19 or 20 introduced the Level of Detail object which does allow you to specify what is shown into the viewport based on how far away from camera it is, but even that isn't a render thing - it is only designed to speed up your work in the viewport in massive scenes like this. 

Difficult to know what to suggest here, so I will watch with interest to see what anyone else says...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

Take advantage of LOD 🙂

I don't think that the LOD does anything for rendering. If I'm not mistaken, this only helps with your viewport functionality. I need to find a way to imperceptibly swap out high-poly background objects to low poly proxy models so that I'm not calculating hundreds of thousands of additional polys in my final render. Thank you just the same.

• Topic Author
  • I meant to post this link in my reply, but this is one way of making it work...but starting on the reduction at this point is almost like starting over from scratch considering the huge number of objects.

https://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/rendertime-object-swap-and-the-variation-map-in-r17/

Have you considered using the Take system? You can turn objects on/off from view/render for specific cameras.