Sign in to follow this  
Bobbi Hansel

Internal emission material, is it possible?

Hey folks, I'm trying to recreate an emissive material in Redshift (see ref image, we're focusing on the small amber-colored objects only). 

These are small round meshes within a shell mesh, disregard the clear shell mesh. Is there a way to have the interior material appear as if the emission comes from within the mesh? Rather than the surface of the mesh? I'm sure there is, I just can't crack this nut. 

Would greatly appreciate any tips or thoughts, thanks in advance.

vlcsnap-2020-02-24-11h20m14s637.png

That depens on if that mesh has volume or if it's just a sheet. If it has volume just place small spheres inside the object and make them glow, Redshift should do the rest.

If it does not have volume well, I'm sure you could do it with the C4D Nodal Material somehow but I don't know Redshift well enough for an answer in that case. In Unreal Engine you would that with a parallax node (maybe that keyword helps to find an answer) which basically means the material fakes a depth which looks convincing if your camera angle doesn't go too flat.

Not totally sure what you're after, but it sounds like you want SSS (Sub surface scattering) for the material with glowing spheres inside as the light sources. Look at some tutorials on this and see if that is right. 

20 hours ago, EAlexander said:

Not totally sure what you're after, but it sounds like you want SSS (Sub surface scattering) for the material with glowing spheres inside as the light sources. Look at some tutorials on this and see if that is right. 

Yes, you want single SSS in the basic settings with absorption, this create a hazy volume like material.  Put another emissive object inside and it should do the job.  If you also use Redshift post bloom effect that will finnish off the look.

I would have tried to make a example but Redshift licence locking as usual is locked to my main PC and Im on a laptop right now.

Dan