Sign in to follow this  
FMVorenkamp

How to hide these damned lights

I'm working on a scene, everything looks great-- but I'm using two area lights to achieve the lighting. I love their effects, but I do not want to see the lights themselves in my render output--- they're appearing as giant, white rectangles. I want to hide the rectangles, but keep their effects.

I've tried several methods of hiding them from the render:

1. Compositing tags- I've turned off literally every variable. No effect. Hide from camera does not work-- even if this isn't the proper method, I'd like to know WHY this doesn't work? What am I missing?

2. Uncheck "Visible In Render" in the light's "basic" panel. 

3. Turning off the green dot in the object manager-- this disables the light totally.

Nothing fancy going on in my scene. Just an animation using standard render. A rigged model, an HDRI sky and two area lights. 

Secondarily, I was wondering what the "export to compositing" option does. 

Thanks very much in advance.

That's interesting... normally the light should disappear as soon as you disable the "show in render" setting in the light details tab. Can you attach the scene file so we can have a look at it?

Secondarily, I was wondering what the "export to compositing" option does. 

This is for the *.aec export. It basically tells the exporter to include the light in the exported *.aec file. These files are used to reconstruct the scene in After Effects for compositing or other stuff.