Sign in to follow this  
Smolak

Select polygons by applied surface

Hi,

Is there fast way to select all polygons based on surface of selected one ? Select all polygons of the same surface etc. ? Maybe script ?

Hi

Not that Im aware of.  Depending on what the surface is like I either select them from the side or top view, grow my selection, or fill selection once I selected the boundaries.  As you know you can use selection sets to quickly selected a pre designated selection.  Unfortunately double click selects all polygons that are connected.

Can you show us a image of what that surface is?

I imagine Phong Break Selection could possibly help here, but we'd need to see the surface to know for sure...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Sorry but I probably use wrong word ( I was using other software 🙂 I mean material - select polygons of the same material that selected one.

If you have multiple materials on any given object there will already be selection tags on the object.  You can name these tags and select all polygons for each material from these.

Dan

If there are different materials assigned to the object, then the polygon selections that correspond to each surface should already exist. The fastest built-in way to repeated selections of these polygons would be:

1. Open a new Object Manager

2. Set the Root of that OM to the polygon object

3. Set the OM to Vertical Tags

4. Have all your selections well named

Then you could just double-click the selection tag that represents the desired material to activate it.

(I do have a script on my Patreon that opens a menu with the selection tags in-place - which makes opening a 2nd OM unnecessary - but of course that's not quite what you want.)

A script that does exactly what you want requires that all materials are assigned on mutually exclusive selections (that is not guaranteed by C4D). If the sample polygon belongs to several selections at once, then the code would need to decide which selection to activate (the first one found, I guess). You can script that but I have no sample at hand.

I believe I remember that Cineversity had a number of scripts like that. I don't know whether these are still there, though, as my access on CV is dead.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you. The problem is that every time I apply the same material to other polygons there are new selection tags that are not cover all of the material but only last added polygons to it. It works totally different than in other softwares where you can add the same material to different polygons and you can select them all after that. In Cinema as I see there is no way for it without many clicking. There is even no command to merge all of the selection tags to one.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:41 PM, Smolak said:

...In Cinema as I see there is no way for it without many clicking. There is even no command to merge all of the selection tags to one.

Hi,

You can combine check marks as follows: Select the first of the tags and choose "Select polygons" - the polygons from this tag will be marked. Then select the second marker you want to combine and select "Select polygons" again - the polygons from that marker will be marked, but the ones previously selected will still be active. Repeat these steps until you select all that you want to combine.

image.png.c75e87de5c147bd932e72c3469f1280b.png

Then uncheck the last selected tag (by clicking the mouse button together with the ctrl key). Then select the "Set selection" option. A new selection tag will be created with a new selection.  You can also name the newly created tag.

image.png.d1bf1674f16a25d34ed7176e990bbfca.png

You can also leave the last selection tag selected and it will be overwritten with the new selection. You can also name the newly created tag.

Finally, you must indicate this selection tag for the material.

image.png.f7ed353acaa72a910f76f8b78cc7e991.png