Sign in to follow this  
mattkander

Learning Cinema 4D on a laptop - Mac Vs PC video review

I'm new to cinema4D and couldn't find any information about the experience of learning Cinema4D on a laptop, and what kind of implications this would have on my development experience.

I spent a few months learning cinema on a macbook pro, followed by an HP open (top of the line RTX 2080 models) then a desktop.

Summarized the experience in this video and happy to field any questions in the thread 😄

Very nice video, well put together and informative.  a RTX 2080 Laptop is for sure powerful but so expensive.   Im using a laptop a lot, mine has a GTX 1070, it runs everything I give it including Redshift.  The only thing I found is when Im using it literally as a laptop "on my lap"  I must use a lap tray as the trackpad slows me down so much, a double tap for every action.  

I always do a project on my Desktop PC, and If I had to use this for the same thing Id be fixed at a desk with my Mouse, keyboard, and Wacom tablet which means Im no longer mobile.

Dan

I'm planning to buy laptop later this year.
I bought my previous laptop on 2012 when I was window-shopping last week I have to say they are still expensive. Haha

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, Rectro said:

Very nice video, well put together and informative.  a RTX 2080 Laptop is for sure powerful but so expensive.   Im using a laptop a lot, mine has a GTX 1070, it runs everything I give it including Redshift.  The only thing I found is when Im using it literally as a laptop "on my lap"  I must use a lap tray as the trackpad slows me down so much, a double tap for every action.  

I always do a project on my Desktop PC, and If I had to use this for the same thing Id be fixed at a desk with my Mouse, keyboard, and Wacom tablet which means Im no longer mobile.

Dan

Thanks a lot!

Yeah anything with an RTX 2070+ is going to be really expensive. If you're tossing up a desktop PC vs a high powered laptop I think there are some use cases where a laptop might be preferable ie - University student who moves about a lot and needs performance on the go. The ability to utilize a university render farm as well makes that quite appealing. 

Otherwise i'm with you 100%, I'll never do work on the couch, only at a desk or table with a mouse. Even with no external screen it's not the best ergonomically.