Sign in to follow this  
ShaneDoyle

How to emit particles based on emitter velocity?

Hello good people of the forums!

So basically I have an animated object with an emitter parented to it. I was wondering how you would have it automatically emit particles when it reaches a certain speed threshold? Id imagine it involves some xPresso trickery but im not that experienced with it to be honest. I found a tutorial for thinking particles which does what I need so I would just need to re adapt it to work for the Xparticles emitter.  The tutorial ive mentioned can be found here: 

Here, this should do the trick. As a base at least.

There's probably better ways to work with the 3 vectors (kind of like getting an average) but my math is horrible and it works, so....

Cinema_4D_wQrk3ALEA3.thumb.png.9f706e6ad73cb047eba34a9717a04fa2.png

VelocityEmit.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Hey DasFrodo! That certainly did the trick and I learned some interesting things about xPresso along the way. Thanks so much for helping me out with this. I really appreciate you taking the time. Hope you have a great weekend my friend!

Glad I could help 🙂 That's what we're here for after all, nobody profits from keeping secrets.

Just some additional thoughts. 
    If you want to do it on a per vertex velocity (currently you have it at per object velocity), you can use xpVertexMap Maker, where it generates a weight map with specified vertex velocity. 

You can then use map to isolate the emission.