Jump to content

how to add thickness to the outside selection of the voronoi fracture ?


Recommended Posts

It isn't very clear where you want the thickness. For example the Outside faces are not what you have highlighted in red in your first screenshot.

 

But if you did want to add thickness to the outside faces, then you could group the VF object with a Bevel Deformer, which you could use as a sort of fake parametric extrude (ie eliminate the bevelling / offset components) by setting its mode to Polygons, its offset to 0.001 and its extrusion to your desired thickness amount. You would also need to set edge angle to >90 degrees, make sure preserve groups is on, and give it the selection tag for  the outside faces generated by the VF object so it only applies to those surfaces...

 

image.thumb.png.bb9602e76aee88f148926156ea1eb1b6.png

 

Another way to do it would be to have 2 VF objects, one for the inside pieces and a hollow cube surrounding it, which both get the same fracture sources, but the hollow one has the 'Hollow Mode' of the VF object ticked.

 

What won't work is MoExtrude, which can't go around the corners or extrude on anything but a per-polygon basis.

 

CBR

Link to post
1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

It isn't very clear where you want the thickness. For example the Outside faces are not what you have highlighted in red in your first screenshot.

 

But if you did want to add thickness to the outside faces, then you could group the VF object with a Bevel Deformer, which you could use as a sort of fake parametric extrude (ie eliminate the bevelling / offset components) by setting its mode to Polygons, its offset to 0.001 and its extrusion to your desired thickness amount. You would also need to set edge angle to >90 degrees, make sure preserve groups is on, and give it the selection tag for  the outside faces generated by the VF object so it only applies to those surfaces...

 

image.thumb.png.bb9602e76aee88f148926156ea1eb1b6.png

 

Another way to do it would be to have 2 VF objects, one for the inside pieces and a hollow cube surrounding it, which both get the same fracture sources, but the hollow one has the 'Hollow Mode' of the VF object ticked.

 

What won't work is MoExtrude, which can't go around the corners or extrude on anything but a per-polygon basis.

 

CBR

the bevil thing works but the problem here that its not working for every thing 

Screenshot_9.png

Link to post

Nope, that is doing exactly what you told it to - just adding bevels on the outside faces. If you want something other than that you need to explain in more detail precisely what.

 

CBR

Link to post
4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Nope, that is doing exactly what you told it to - just adding bevels on the outside faces. If you want something other than that you need to explain in more detail precisely what.

 

CBR

the green lines must also be red ! thats what i ment 

Screenshot_10.png

Link to post

That is going to be quite tricky to achieve, because no selections available in the live VF object can give you that. Even my plan for doing it with 2 objects, the outer one hollow is going to fail because it doesn't react identically to an identical point source used by the inside surfaces. But I do wonder if we couldn't take a polygon copy of the base mesh, do our extrudes on that instead AND grab all the polys that need to be coloured differently later in a Selection tag, which we could then drag back to the base object under the VF (or maybe even the VF itself, though I am less confident about that). In theory then, if the extrudes were identical, and the point counts and order remain the same also, then that might work and you could constrain your red material to that selection tag.

 

CBR

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That is going to be quite tricky to achieve, because no selections available in the live VF object can give you that. Even my plan for doing it with 2 objects, the outer one hollow is going to fail because it doesn't react identically to an identical point source used by the inside surfaces. But I do wonder if we couldn't take a polygon copy of the base mesh, do our extrudes on that instead AND grab all all the polys that need to be coloured differently later in a Selection tag, which we could then drag back to the base object under the VF (or maybe even the VF itself, though I am less confident about that). In theory then, if the extrudes were identical, and the point counts and order remain the same also, then that might work and you could constrain your red material to that selection tag.

 

CBR

i didn't follow any 😛 please help me achieving this i really need it , how about if we export to an alimbic file the we work on that ?

 

Link to post

No, I am not seeing an immediate answer to this, and have quite a busy afternoon on in which I don't really have time to explore further. Will come back to it tonight when things calm down a bit if no1 else gets there first...

 

CBR

Link to post
7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

No, I am not seeing an immediate answer to this, and have quite a busy afternoon on in which I don't really have time to explore further. Will come back to it tonight when things calm down a bit if no1 else gets there first...

 

CBR

ok please when you have time to give it a try

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

ABOUT US

We are dedicated Cinema 4D Community of friendly and passionate artists, hobbyists and developers. Feel free to join us and share your knowledge, your art and anything that might help Community to grow. We are providing guidance, free plugins and files, feedback, sponsorships and various discounts for our Contributors. :cowboypistol:

SUPPORT

Tickets

Purchases

×
×
  • Create New...

Copyright C4D Cafe © 2020 Powered by Invision Community