Sign in to follow this  
Freemorpheme

Selecting UV seams

Hi there - is there a command for selecting UV seams on a mesh? I would like to select them to make sure the phong edges are also breaking. Select Phong Edges provides nothing so I assume the whole thing is smoothed. I would like to easily select the UV edges, then break the phong shading at those points.

Thanks

No, we don't currently have that functionality other than in regular selection tags, so there is the answer - as soon as you define your seams just set selection on that so you can always get them back by double clicking the tag.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • On 3/2/2020 at 2:02 PM, Cerbera said:

we don't currently have that functionality

Thanks. Presumably this means if you unwrap in another application you are screwed?

Well, if you're going to use another program to unwrap in, you'd presumably do your selections with the (presumably superior) tools therein wouldn't you ?! 😉

CBR

I have some code in my plugins which does this, but is not yet available for selecting edges from.

However, there is a -somewhat laborious- way to get the outline of UV islands without any plugin.

Switch to BP UV Edit layout.

Then, with the move tool enabled, double click an island in the UV window. This will select the polygons of a whole UV island. Then, use the Outline Selection tool (U~Q) and select the polygon cluster in the view port. This will provide you with the outline edges of the island. Store as edge selection.

Back to move tool, double click another UV island in the UV window, etc ...

I might be looking into providing a plugin which does the UV island outline edge detection and turn them into edge selection. Or maybe even create edge selection tags.

I have added a work-in-progress plugin in the Plugins Development sub-forum.

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

do your selections with the (presumably superior) tools

Maybe? I thought you had to come back to Cinema to sort out the smoothing groups there. I'm not really sure how it works. @DasFrodo gave me the advice a while ago to make sure all UV edges were also broken Phong edges, but I have never worked out a method of actually doing it.

• Topic Author
  • On 3/24/2020 at 4:15 PM, C4DS said:

maybe even create edge selection tags

Since you appear to have a Morpheus-level insight into the inner working of C4D - do you know of a way to expose the broken phong edges of an object for an edge selection?

For instance if I have a hard surface object, I know the edges are broken across all angles set by my phong angle limit. But while the Phong Edge Selection tool can see these edges and use them to make Polygon selections, the Select Broken Phong Edges does nothing until I have selected the edges and manually broken them. I wonder if there is a way of asking C4D to make an edge selection of all edges that are affected by the angle limit? 

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 11.39.24.png

4 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

Since you appear to have a Morpheus-level insight ...

Not sure what that means, but ... thanks?

4 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

... expose the broken phong edges of an object for an edge selection?

I wonder if there is a way of asking C4D to make an edge selection of all edges that are affected by the angle limit?

When in Edge Mode, activate the Phong Edge Selection tool. The candidate edges will be visualized with a dark blue-ish color.

Then in the Attribute Manager simply press the button Select All, and these edges will get selected.

I tried this on a cube, and obviously, all edges got selected. Doesn't this work on your specific object? Could you please upload the object to further check.

• Topic Author
  • that sounds like the perfect solution, I will investigate.

This is Morpheus.

what-if-i-96a0446a68.jpg