Sign in to follow this  
NStellar

Wire Mesh Fence/Flooring

Hey trying to make wire mesh objects and not sure where to start. I did some googling and found this thread but am having trouble figuring out the work flow.

Here are some examples of what I'm trying to do: At the moment specifically trying to create a floor like in the second image of the loft area.

antonio-set-small-loft-complete-tool-college-apartment-san-studio-sets-packages-placement-best-moder-tstanding-furniture-arrangement-checklist-spaces-idea.thumb.jpg.0b9b876db5357f6e2572ffcbd622c874.jpgmetal-fence.thumb.jpg.08787e8be6459a183715bbb24d48001d.jpg

I'm actually not sure if modelling is even the best way or if I should be modelling this or trying to do it with materials? I would like to do it similar to the picture with maybe meshed lighting in between a floor and ceiling below if that makes sense. What I've been trying is making a thin, wide cube "floor" and subdividing it similar to what is visible in the image. Then I made editable, selected all the points, then added bevel and tried to click limit and turn up the sliders but the results are not quite what I'm after. Not sure if this method is correct but I just can't find what I need when searching. Any insights would be very much appreciated.

If you're ever going to see the grid "directly" without the cover then I'd say model it, otherwise just do it with materials. It's not going to be 100% correct but if you don't know you're never going to see the difference. That is for the floor.

For the cabinet well, depends on how close you want to get with the camera. It's certainly doable with mostly materials but at the same time modeling that could look way better. That's a job for @Cerbera 😁

54 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

For the cabinet well, depends on how close you want to get with the camera. It's certainly doable with mostly materials but at the same time modeling that could look way better. That's a job for @Cerbera 😁

Lols - thanks, DF 🙂  The good news is that this particular type of wire cabinet is the easiest to make of any of them via modelling methods.

The frame itself can be as simple as an n-side profile and a path spline in sweep, you can use a helix spline, also in a sweep, to do the coiled wrapping around that that holds the doors on. The cage itself is easy because those things are spot welded together, which means you don't have to worry about any complicated twisting or inter-meshing of wire cage. In fact all you have to do there is extract some splines from a suitably segmented plane object (do all the horizontal edges in a group, then all the vertical ones) sweep those, and move the verticals back slightly so they sit just behind the horizontals. Then, when you have the spacing right you can drop all that under a volume builder / mesher setup to give you the welds between the grid sections. Or it might be that the camera never gets close enough to see in that sort of detail in which case you could omit that stage altogether.

The last bit of this would be adding some general buckling and warping of the mesh, which is best done with either FFD or noise-driven displacement deformers in a group with the (collapsed) base mesh you are using inside the volume builder. The only thing to watch out for here is that your mesh splines are uniformly subdivided so that they can support this deformation.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thank you both so much for your inputs. When to model and when to material is a question I'm finding coming up more often so it's good to have something to grasp at when making a decision.

Cerbera this is awesome thank you! I played around a bit and I think I'm picking up what you're putting down now lol. I did go after the floor in the second picture first and I have to say I spent all day futzing over this before realizing I should have just done a cloner. Which is what I did in the end so I could have the control over spacing. If you guys saw the antics I got up to you'd laugh so hard and I'd feel even more derpy. BUT the good thing about bungling about the wrong way is I at least learned a ton of . I started as you suggested for the cabinet with a plane appropriately subdivided. I extracted the splines separately for horizontal and vertical. Then extruded extruded them in the x and z to make a flat planed grid and then then extruded in the y to flesh out. Then had a whale of a time when I realized I wanted them spaced further apart so tried beveling (sometimes that will shrink something down just enough) but that didn't work so then scaled them and had to cut and chop and when that destroyed my polys went back and started bridging edges for days LOL. Then I crashed and lost a bunch of work and realized "hey idiot just f@$#%ing clone them!". Whew! I never knew about extracting splines though and got very comfy with the path selection and line cut tool so it's all good. I will refer back to this when I go to tackle the cabinet. Thank you again very much you are always very helpful 🙂

Here's the rough of my attempt at the floor ignore the grain 😛

Capture.JPG.2820eead3c80dac2484c27e4b55db840.JPG

Yes of course a cloner will also work, and as you say, give you control over spacing etc, so good move there.

I did a quick test of my plan for the wire cage, which seems to be working well in practice...

image.thumb.png.a031ba7663f6bd8cf645ab0ce551d120.png

You can either VB the sweep objects you make from the splines, or you can just use the splines directly in the VB object - they don't actually need to be in sweeps to give you the solid forms...

22 hours ago, NStellar said:

Here's the rough of my attempt at the floor ignore the grain 😛

There shouldn't be any grain, even in a preview - you have a de-noiser in R21, which you can add under Render Effects !! 😉 

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Gave it a shot and got it together sort of. There's some things I'd like to try differently so this was a first attempt and the volume builder was perfect for welding it together thank you for that suggestion worked great 🙂  I use Arnold so I just took a quick screen shot of the IPR window. I don't think de-noiser works unless you're using physical or standard? Thank you again!

Capture1.thumb.JPG.fe0951dc75bf018d4b97efd174b34d45.JPGwireframe-cabinet.thumb.jpg.a69e19cd8011b679be8b267251e6f8e2.jpg

9 hours ago, NStellar said:

I don't think de-noiser works unless you're using physical or standard?

Indeed it doesn't, although I think some renderers do come with their own de-noising options. Not having it myself, I don't know if Arnold is one of them or not...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • It doesn't have a one click fix all de-noiser no. I usually start with AOV passes to pinpoint where the noise is coming from and then fine tune the sampling in main settings as well as lights etc. It's a bit on the slower side compared to Octane and all the swishy new renderers so that's why I said excuse the grain 'cause it's a lot of fuss to go through for a preview scren shot lol. I did try the de-noiser effect but yeah does not work. Oh well!