Sign in to follow this  
kingcoma

Baking sculpt to normals weird spots

Hi there!

Trying to bake a normal map out of a sculpt, it's working pretty good, except I get a few weird spots randomly.

Any thoughts what these are and why they're there? And maybe how to get rid of them?normal-map-weird-spots.thumb.jpg.b4cededfc781e78d52342c70037301e3.jpg

Well, what we can see of the setup looks as perfect as we've come to expect from you, so not tempted to blame any sort of user error. But we could do with the pre-bake scene file to look at, or at least to see your baking settings. I suspect this is a bug, but even if it is we'll be needing the scene file to report it...

Could you dropbox link that over to me (via pm if you don't fancy sharing it publicly) ?

Cheers

CBR

Thanks for the reply!

I'll have a look if I can zip the file(s) and send them over via wetransfer this evening. Pretty big file (with texture map and sculpt file)

That looks like an error you get due to raycasting errors when baking, specifically from the cage.

What did you bake this with? Depending on what's available for you you could try Substance Designer / Substance Painter for baking or try out xNormal, which is completely free. The software has a feature where you can set a custom cage for baking (basically expanding out from the original object) to get rid of these kinds of errors. It's a bit hidden, so if you need help with it just tell me and I can show you the ropes.

Baking was done inside cinema4d, in the sculpt menu > bake sculpt objects. 

I did see a tutorial where they were talking about raycasting and cages (because yes, I do look things up first before hurling questions on the cafe 😉 )

In that tutorial, they lowered the raycasting emitter significantly, so maybe I'll have to give that a try. And I'll have a look at xNormal as well! Thanks!

Opened the file yesterday to save it so I could send it to you guys, only thing was: my sculpt object is for some reason completely messed up.

One side is ok, the other is checkered.

See below 😕  Didn't change anything to the file, because when I did the baking-thing, I saved it as a v3, and started on a new file v4 (this way I always have backups of previous files) 

UV-map is still exactly the same as before. 🤷‍♂️

sculpt-messed-up.thumb.jpg.2eedfaca369d2dcca1111e50be1e4db0.jpg

Interesting...

Did you used symmetry? Something like this I would expect in case was change index of polygons (maybe some welded by symmetry tolerance or something similar)

Also another (maybe not your´s case) could be using/sculpting in another software and transfering mesh (as obj file) could create some mess in mesh polygon indexes...

Thanks for the reply Bezo!
Well, yeah. I started modeling in symmetry, and when I was done with the modeling I made the symmetry editable, so I had one object. 

Initially I unwrapped everything, and for example, the left and right arms and legs were identical in UV mesh. So in order to save some space on my texture file, I placed those on top of each other. This saved space and I only had to paint 1 time for both legs and arms. 
After that, I did a sculpt, and when I baked that, obviously a complete mess! 😄  So I redid the UV mapping, put everything correctly, not overlapping, and started a new sculpt. Baking was a success, but with those small little spots in my original post.

Weird!

I'll probably do a new sculpt and a new bake, but was curious if anyone bumped into these things before.

For standard work with materials/textures overlapped UV´s may not be problem, but when is planned baking materials, correct UV´s are expected...