Sign in to follow this  
ssojyeti

Tree spline growing incorrectly

Hi guys, I have a Bandersnatch-style timeline graph that I would to animate from beginning to end. If I throw the timeline spline inside a sweep nurbs, it doesn't exactly grow the way I'd like it to, which is from left to right. Some paths go from start to end before others even begin. See below.

I know this weird behavior is due to the way I built the spline path using illustrator (I connected a bunch of separate paths, and the way they grow is based on the order I created the paths in), but how can I get it to grow the right way? Is there an effector I should use? Here is my file if anyone wants to take a look.

Any/all help is greatly appreciated

I'm afraid that is an illegal spline in Cinema., where no more than 2 points can ever comprise a segment, so nothing you try will work here within a single sweep object. You will have to split the spline up into its source segments, which do follow local spline rules, and then do separate sweeps for the individual segments timed to coincide with each other via timeline keyframes.

There was an episode of Rocket Lasso recently where they tried to tackle something, but they really had to run round the houses to get it to work as I recall. Perhaps if you can find that it would be of some help though. It is somewhere near the beginning of Season 2 I think...

Somebody else might know of another way, but I'm not seeing one, unless Mospline in Turtle mode or something similar can save you... but I am not the best person to advise about that...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I'm afraid that is an illegal spline in Cinema., where no more than 2 points can ever comprise a segment, so nothing you try will work here within a single sweep object. You will have to split the spline up into its source segments, which do follow local spline rules, and then do separate sweeps for the individual segments timed to coincide with each other via timeline keyframes.

There was an episode of Rocket Lasso recently where they tried to tackle something, but they really had to run round the houses to get it to work as I recall. Perhaps if you can find that it would be of some help though. It is somewhere near the beginning of Season 2 I think...

Somebody else might know of another way, but I'm not seeing one, unless Mospline in Turtle mode or something similar can save you... but I am not the best person to advise about that...

CBR

Thank you CBR, I'm looking into turtle mode as we speak and it seems like that might work as a solution to make something similar looking yet also animatable. Cheers

You could maybe animate something along those paths and then use a tracer to go left to right. Seems to me its very 2D so maybe you could create outlines of those paths in AI, join them altogether into one object which you can then extrude in the traditional way, but at the same time use a big rectangle in a spline mask to reveal it, but at that point any kind of left right transition would work.

You could also use the same technique with individual paths in spline mask, using same large rectangle to reveal each one. Bit of a faff tho.

Deck

Just to note at the moment your rectangle isn't really in the right orientation to get a proper sweep, see the first grab below currently XZ, it wants to be either of the other two if you want that box / tube look. That then leads to another issue as you can see in the 3rd grab where your verticals and horizontals have a different orientation and Im not sure you can fix that without joining them together too make L shaped paths.

Seems to be some overlapping too.

Deck

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 12.49.15.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 12.49.47.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 12.50.29.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 12.55.42.png

Also could be used NPR modul Sketch and Toon. SaT material has a lot of animation options for strokes (left to right is also one of them).

In some cases needed adjusting/reverse sequences of few spline segments or manual adjusting of positions of few points of segments, but animation itself looks just fine for me... 

• Topic Author
  • On 3/10/2020 at 5:54 AM, deck said:

You could maybe animate something along those paths and then use a tracer to go left to right. Seems to me its very 2D so maybe you could create outlines of those paths in AI, join them altogether into one object which you can then extrude in the traditional way, but at the same time use a big rectangle in a spline mask to reveal it, but at that point any kind of left right transition would work.

You could also use the same technique with individual paths in spline mask, using same large rectangle to reveal each one. Bit of a faff tho.

Deck

thank you very much Sir Deck, this was the simplest solution and now it's just a matter of animation timing which I am working on now 😄

Glad to help, I mentioned a couple of things, which way did you actually go in the end, tracers or spline mask ?

Deck