Sign in to follow this  
mrdatsun

'glue' object to surface of extruding cube?

I am animating a cube extruding using a spline-wrap along an arc-spline. I want to add a triangular-prism cap to the top of the cube. Can I perhaps make the triangular cap follow the top surface of the cube using xpresso? I've done a few things with xpresso in the past, but cannot see a way to access the position and angle of a single face of the morphing cube.

I'm not clear that this is the best way to do this but I'm exploring all avenues!

Please see my screen grab to show what I want to achieve. It has thin red lines showing where I want the cap.

Thank-you

c4d.jpg

Can not be just modeled top object from cube polygons and used selection set for different material?

If you need exactly what is in your screenshot, it´s the fastest and simpliest way. Using some external object bring another problems with priorities (xp vs. deformer, but could be solved with adjusting priorities)

screen_1.thumb.png.f03161bfda31f7086537e4187eb7bcce.png

if you simply select all edge ring selection and use connect command, you "cut this cube in the middle and when select top middle edge and drag bit up, you have prism as in your screen. Then just select prism/roof polygons and create selection set for texturing.

This way prism will not be deformed since main edge "flow" over spline in same position agains cube all the time...

here is what I ment...

splinwrap_example.c4d

• Topic Author
  • >here is what I ment...

Bezo. Thank-you, this is great and elegant, but there is one problem – the triangular prism distorts as I change the 'To' percentage value on the spline-wrap. I need it to be fixed shape on the top. Is there a way to get that?

if you set "End Mode" parameter of spline wrap to "Clamp" (instead of default "Extend") and then will animate offset parameter from negative values (-15 maybe) resulted animation looks just fine, but don´t know if it´s enough for you...

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, bezo said:

if you set "End Mode" parameter of spline wrap to "Clamp" (instead of default "Extend") and then will animate offset parameter from negative values (-15 maybe) resulted animation looks just fine, but don´t know if it´s enough for you...

Thank-you. I tried playing with clamp and the negative offset, but I do not think it will give me enough freedom of range for the animations I aim to develop, before it distorts again.

• Topic Author
  • 35 minutes ago, noseman said:

why don't you constrain the Prism to the same spline with an Align to Spline and synchronize the motion using XPRESSO?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rujxxgvvj7tt7r0/aligned prism.c4d?dl=0

Works perfectly. And thanks for the xpresso-spline technique which I am sure I can use in other ways. 

See attach for quick render.

Thank-you to both of you - bezo and noseman - for your expertise, time and help.

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 19.01.03.jpg

• Topic Author
  • I have duplicated the objects, made a new spline path, copied the xpresso and relinked to the new spline wrap. But the object controlled through xpresso comes off the cube extrusion as they move along the spline path. It starts correctly at 0, the triangular prism immediately jumps off the cube and then over the course of the path the cube overtakes the triangular prism.

I've checked all the settings are the same. Any idea why please?

See file

aligned prism_0001.c4d

• Topic Author
  • This seems to be a problem with using a bezier spline. As I can get it working with an arc (a test made from scratch using noseman's method), but when applied with a bezier path, the second element's relationship to the main element is inconsistent.

Another example made from scratch:

Spline-wrap_TestWithBezier.c4d