Sign in to follow this  
bobc4d

use alcohol as disinfectant against COVID-19

All,

Be smart, stay safe and DON'T PANIC. Really, for the vast majority of us, the worst case  scenario will be you get the flu. Normal influenza mortality rate is 0.2%.  But what do they say about COVID-19?  "It is 10 times more deadly than influenza!!!"  That statement alone puts a shiver down your spine.  But what if they said "Your chances of surviving COVID-19 is 98%" would you be as alarmed?  Both say the same thing.  To put in perspective, remember H1N1 (or swine flu)?  That virus existed in the US for 6 months with over 1000 deaths before it was declared a crises in 2010.  Ultimately, 12,000 people died from it in the US alone.  Last year, 16.5 million people got standard influenza in the U.S. and 34,200 died from it. 

Now I am not downplaying the seriousness of this COVID-19  outbreak and I do agree with the precautions taken to date.  We have shut more of our life down (sporting events, business, restaurants, shops, etc)  for COVID-19 than we have every shut down in the past.  In fact we did nothing in the past.  Therefore, I am hopefully confident that you will not see mortality rates from COVID-19 as high as what you would see from standard influenza.  I mean over 34,000 people died from standard influenza it last year in the US, but how often was that fact at the top of the news cycle?  Trust me, only on the slow news days if at all.

So let's be smart, wash our hands (20 seconds with soap and water and don't forget the finger tips or your thumbs), practice social distancing (6 feet) and PLEASE DO NOT OVER-REACT.  This is NOT the zombie apocalypse.  You don't need to hole up in a bunker for the next 3 months with MRE's and 100 roles of toilet paper.  So no hoarding.  There is no food shortage!  Your supermarket will be re-stocking the shelves next week....and the week after that....and the week after that.....etc.   

If you are healthy and without any respiratory illnesses or compromised immune systems (which I hope is the vast majority of us) - you should be fine.  Just live your life. You made it through H1N1.  You made it through past flu seasons.  You will make it through this.

Honestly, I just want to be able to go to the store and get toilet paper (not having toilet paper would be a real crises).

Dave

BTW: Prior to the swine flu pandemic in the US, the last big pandemic was the Hong Kong flu in 1968.  That flu killed 100,000 people in the US (a million world wide).  On the Pandemic index scale of 1 to 5, it was a 2 (Swine flu was a 1).  I got the Hong Kong flu as a young lad.  Needless to say, I am still here. 

(not having toilet paper would be a real crises).

The real crisis is that we won't get fresh buns and bread at work every morning at my office for the next three weeks.

Dave,

There is one slight issue with your analysis...

The vast majority of the population has some degree of immunity to the standard flu - that's why only a small proportion of us get it each year.

None of us have immunity to the new Coronavirus. That's why many of us will get it. Multiply that by the suspected higher mortality rate and you have a much bigger problem.

The other thing you might want to consider: Do you have any family, friends or aquaintences who are elderly or in poor health? I do. If someone passes Cv on to them - they have a much higher mortality rate. I have people in my family who will probably have a 50/50 chance of survival if they get infected with Cv.

Bear that in mind folks.

Admin

I have a friend who is epidemiologist. He told me very early when he saw the spreading rate in Wuhan area that borders must be closed immediately. He now tells me that current official numbers are at least 20x higher in reality.

Unfortunately, lack of proper reaction from health organizations and people responsible for events such as this has simply lead to pandemic. Couple that with extremely frivolous and negligent behavior from many individuals and media spreading panic we are also looking at global recession. The facts are that virus has somewhat higher morality rate, but in reality it is dangerous mostly for elderly and ones with poor immune system. What seems to be missing, and has to be said is that once pandemic becomes major then it becomes a game of numbers. There simply won't be enough hospital resources to treat all people in severe condition, then triage comes in and resources are concentrated on ones that have higher chance of survival....sad but true

Right now, all that can be done is to try to flatten the curve of spreading so that current capacity can handle severe conditions. There is still a possibility that upcoming higher temperatures in Northern hemisphere will affect the virus and/or that virus is seasonal in nature

So, wash your hands, don't touch your face, avoid going out, keep distance if you can't avoid going out, disinfect the areas with alcohol solution. Take care of elderly and especially people with poor or no immune system. Let's hope that we will get a bit lucky and spreading rate drops

22 hours ago, MikeA said:

Dave,

There is one slight issue with your analysis...

The vast majority of the population has some degree of immunity to the standard flu - that's why only a small proportion of us get it each year.

None of us have immunity to the new Coronavirus. That's why many of us will get it. Multiply that by the suspected higher mortality rate and you have a much bigger problem.

The other thing you might want to consider: Do you have any family, friends or aquaintences who are elderly or in poor health? I do. If someone passes Cv on to them - they have a much higher mortality rate. I have people in my family who will probably have a 50/50 chance of survival if they get infected with Cv.

Bear that in mind folks.

Hey...I am an older person.  Trust me, if it was between me and a younger person in need of a respirator at an over-burdened hospital, then the respirator goes to the younger person.  But that is not even the worst case scenario.  The worst case scenario is that it is between my wife and a younger person in need of a respirator at an over-burdened hospital and the respirator goes to the younger person.  

Trust me....I can imagine many hells that can play out during this crises so I don't need you to tell what I have and have not considered.

But living in a state of panic and fear is not the solution and helps no one.  Hoarding food is not the solution and helps no one (again no meat, dry goods or frozen food in the supermarket).  Constantly listening to the endless repetition of our media that has over-pivoted to panic is not the solution and helps no one.  Worrying about things for which you have no control is not the solution and helps no one.  Worrying about what the rate of infection will be in 3 weeks is not the solution and helps no one. 

...and worry will not create a hospital respirator when your suffering wife absolutely needs it. 

The solution is to be disciplined.  To be careful. To be helpful to your neighbor (eg. volunteer to go to the supermarket for those who can not).  To pull together as a community while hunkering down.  The solution is to be informed about what you can do right now - and then do it!  Along those lines, I have also compiled a list of facts from various sources on how to deal with this virus.  Not all have been 100% cross-checked to completely insure validity, but they do make sense to me and I have distributed this list to others.  In the spirit of being helpful, of setting aside unproductive and self-indulgent worry with productive action, I have include that list below.

Dave

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. 

Excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: 

1. Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. 
  2. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 
  3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun. 
  4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne. 
  5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap. 
  6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it. Increase the frequency of your laundry.  Smaller loads every two days is a good recommendation (especially bath and hand towels).
  7. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 
  8. When washing your hands, don’t forget the finger tips and the thumbs.  20 seconds of washing in warm water should be sufficient.  Also, keep your fingernails short.
  9. Open a window every now and then -- let the fresh air in if you can especially if you are in cold climate.  Better to let in the cold outside air than breath the same recycled air over and over again where you live.
  10. Replace your toothbrush on a more regular basis.
  11. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 
  12. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! 

KNOW THE SYMPTOMS: In short, if you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose. 

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 
  2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 
  3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 
  4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

3D-Pangel, I completely agree with first part of you post. I'm 63, lived a full life and have no family. if it comes down to me getting a respirator or a young person, its young person every time. They are our future.  more than ever we need to ban together and help each other. yes isolate in attempt to contain this but help each other to get through this. 

Admin

I am happy to see that highest human moral values are still out there and I wish I will be man enough to say and think the same at 63 myself. Hat down gentlemen...

I suggest, after deep deliberation.. a course of leeches

On 3/21/2020 at 10:05 PM, bobc4d said:

3D-Pangel, I completely agree with first part of you post. I'm 63, lived a full life and have no family. if it comes down to me getting a respirator or a young person, its young person every time. They are our future.  more than ever we need to ban together and help each other. yes isolate in attempt to contain this but help each other to get through this. 

Bob,

You are the better man.  If it was between me and someone younger, I would give it to someone younger.  But if it was between my wife and someone younger......well....as I said, I can imagine many hellish situations and that would be one of them because my wife would give it to the younger person and I would just die inside.  

Dave

Still had no reply from the govt re compensation for my crack den and brothel..I have had to furlong all the girls..when I suggested that to them they said they would have to charge me premium for that