Sign in to follow this  
EddRadcliffe

Precise dimension based UV's

Noob help! Coming from 3dsmax, I am struggling with precise texture or UVW mapping sizes. In this instance, I have a floor tile texture where each tile is 600x600mm in size. The map has 10 tiles squared so in 3dsmax i would set the UVW cube or plane at 6000mm. All i can see thus far in C4d is percentages which is not what I need. Is there a way where i can specify the cube or plane UVW size. Any ex 3dsmax user will know exactly what I mean by this. Searching google is being far from helpful!!!

Values are relative. Since you have just single tile texture 600x600 and you want 10 tiles, you could map just single tile (what means if you fit /100percent/

single tile to texture and since there is "Tile" option in material tag, all tile will share the same (100percent) size of texture...

(for me everything is dependent on texture resolution)

Could you post scenefile or some screens what you exactly want to achieve?

Hi. I Just recorded this video as an example. Its with bricks this time but the principle is the same.

Sorry, got the brick dims the wrong way round but cant be bothered to re-record.

This is an example of my work where the floor tiles had to be exact dimensions. The floor is driven from a texture I created and mapped with exact UV dimensions. Very easy process in 3ds max to get the UV dims correct, I am hoping I can replicate this in C4D.

Screenshot_2020-03-15_at_11_57_38.png

I think only way to make it "real" is manual adjustment of single tile (as in your example with brick)

...scale/offset etc. to "real" object in the scene

btw, if used textures just on flat objects (wall, floor), when used cubic projection for example, copy material from object to object will keep dimensions of projection (since it´s parametric instead of UV dependent)

nice picture btw, did it modeled in real dimensions?

Yeah, its all to scale, built 1:1 in meters.

Just checked out cubic projection. Its all in percent and when you mesh an object it disappears. This is getting really frustrating. There must be a way to enter the actual dims of the texture map, I cant believe its not possible.

I was only mention that because when you adjust to real values on one object with cubic projection and save it as preset, everytime you want to apply this material to another object with different size/dimensions, your projected material from preset will keep dimensions and will be tiled the same way as on preset...

(texture will not be stretched like in your video when applied material on different object UV´s)