Sign in to follow this  
Didar

deform the object based on the surface

hello guys. we have a simple setup here:

image.thumb.png.67ccc2f0d97c03aefff6aa3624b7322b.png

there is a sphere aligned to the spline. I can animate it to move. but I need it to reshape better on the surface. somehow like a liquid that is sliding over the surface. I can use FFD and animate the shape for this. but that is a hard job and final result might not be very good. also I don't know how can I use soft body in combination with the animated spline and if that would be a good animation without crazy results or not... as you see we have collisions even from sides and not only from surface. so, can we use any deformers or some other trick for this object to deform during its path? Thanks

test.c4d

Have a look at the collision deformer, that should do the trick.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Rectro said:

Have a look at the collision deformer, that should do the trick.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. it seems that is the way to do it. but I could not make it work. the ball goes crazy. literally in all the tutorials on the internet, they put that deformer on the surface and not the sphere 😄 could you please take a look at the file? 

39 minutes ago, Didar said:

Thanks, Dan. it seems that is the way to do it. but I could not make it work. the ball goes crazy. literally in all the tutorials on the internet, they put that deformer on the surface and not the sphere 😄 could you please take a look at the file? 

There you go.

I applied it to the ground not the sphere.  Changed the settings a little.

Dan

test fixed.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Rectro said:

I applied it to the ground not the sphere.  Changed the settings a little.

Oh, Dan. it was a misunderstanding. I meant everyone put that on the surface which does not work for me. I need it on the ball so my ball get the deformation. but I could not make it correct. ball gets deform like crazy and polygons goes everywhere. 

So you want the ground to push into the sphere as if the ball is like spouge?  Or have the ball roll over the contour of the ground surface in which you will want Surface Deformer?

If you want the ball do deform conforming to the top surface then your need a  evenly distributed polygon sphere, a Hexahedron type.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, Rectro said:

here is a scene which makes the sphere like a water drop over surface, as mentioned Hexahedron type.

oh that is great. I was trying to experiment with that YouTube tutorial which was nice BTW. it seems I can get a very good result from the Surface deformer. Although I should animate it using UV sliders. by any chance you know how to map it over the spline? I have attached the file in case anyone wants to see. Thanks a ton Dan. 

test fixed2 like water drop.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, Rectro said:

This is with surface deformer.

but that is with Collision deformer Dan. I opened your file and you used collision deformer. I checked it multiple times... can you confirm?

anyway, an issue here. I can not reach this good flat shape without noises and polygon issues that causes by Collision deformer. 

image.thumb.png.6f04154bcfdd0f8894532ed37167f9f4.png

but the Surface deformer would do the job. until I want to deform it using FFD. it was a simple sphere and the direction was not an issue. how about this? we need to point it forward as we move everywhere. IDK if this is possible with surface deformer. as for Collision deformer it should work but then I get very crazy results using even slightly "bad geometry" objects... 

Triangle.c4d

PS: it got solved Dan, this guy here used a custom rail for the surface deformer. very smart idea:

https://youtu.be/RVvLcrGDANo