Sign in to follow this  
danadar

Rogue Octane Objects, Textures, Tags & Settings Crash Scenes

C4D R20.059 or R21.115

Does anyone know of a way to easily identify or just remove everything calling octane in a scene file?

I have encountered this problem several times over the last couple years and it is driving me nuts. Ill be opening a Redshift project and get an octane login dialog, meaning something in the scene file is calling octane.  Ill hit cancel and continue to work, everything is built in redshift, Im using redshift IPR, Redshift renderer in settings, but without fail, anytime there is anything 'octane' in the file, it causes the scene to become unstable and crash regularly. It could be one rogue tag, or a texture or something that got copied in from another project and hidden... Today it was an octane render setting that was not even in use. Every time I have to spend time combing through the entire project to find the offending octane thing and delete it to restore stability to the project. Does anyone know a way to automate this search in any way?

Thanks in advance

I never had this with Octane, but with V-Ray when it was still made by Laublab.

The only thing that always helped was making sure that I got rid of ALL the materials and tags that had anything to do with the plugin and then copy pasing the entire scene into a fresh document.

I have the feelin that there's often still stuff referenced in the document even though you technically removed everything from the file that belongs to this specific plugin.

• Topic Author
  • Yes copying to a new project can help, but sometimes it can be a single octane object tag buried deep in a model hierarchy. Its usually only a problem when receiving project files built by someone else as you are not aware of everything going on in the file, but it happens frequently enough that I feel like it would be worth figuring out a script or something that would scrape a file for octane objects, tags, render settings & materials and delete them. 

In that case what you can do is use the filters as well as the flat tree option in the object manager. Whenever I want to delete everything of a single tag I use that.

• Topic Author
  • Wow. That is exactly what I needed! I dont know how I have survived so long without using that filter twirl-down 😮

For anyone looking for this filter option, see attachments

Brilliant, thanks @DasFrodo

01.PNG

02.PNG