Sign in to follow this  
Unstable

Why C4D instead of C3D?

I did a little Internet searching but didn't find anything that stated why Cinema was name '4'D. I was curious if anyone knew? It seems like the natural name would have been Cinema 3D, but they chose 4D instead. Is the 4th dimension time, in that it takes time to make something 3D? Just thought it might be interesting to find out.

Since it's an animation application, the 4th dimension is time. Hence 4D.

To get '1 up' on all the other 3D packages ; )

This thread could get very deep.😉

I wondered that when I first started using it back 1999… But I remember now it was the FOURTH dimension! Great for making a Tardis 🙂

Love it..was earlier chatting to a girl about relativity, yes I am a silver tongued devil, and then saw this post. There are no coincidences.

"I so love the beauty of the tapestry The Guru weaves for me. Working away on a scene, I am going to do a short 10-20 sec video based on a scene from Full Metal Jacket  - The meaning of the term FMJ I may well bore you with another time. In my scene I was adding some far distant background mountain and it  had me time warping to when I first got into CGI in the 90's. I had bought a computer magazine and there was a freebie disc on it with a program that made terrain scenery- Terragen- it was wonderful and I fell in love with making mountains but I could not animate them with objects such as aircraft etc. So I did some searching and discovered Cinema 4D the program that is now the VFX program I am obsessed with. At the time I did not see the link. The Guru is so subtle. Cinema- You know my views on The Illusion..Maya. then I found another CGI program and it is called..Maya ( Illusion) still I did not see the link. 4D..though it is now agreed we live in at least 11 dimensions( String Theory/ M - Theory) it is much simpler and more tangible to consider the 4 obvious dimensions Up Down - Forward Back- Left Right and the Fourth is Time. Hence Cinema 4D, I work in all dimensions. Al the world is indeed a stage

Now time dilation is quite a tricky thing for many to get there heads around but I think I explain it well like this. First you have to accept that the speed of light is a constant, roughly 670 Million mph. It is constant NO MATER WHAT YOUR FRAME OF REFERENCE IS. Consider a car moving at 50 mph and you throw a ball out of the window forwards at 5 MPH, the ball would be moving at 55mph. If 2 cars were travelling at 50 mph towards each other each person in each car could say that the other is moving at 50+50 = 100 MPH towards them. But light is different, no matter what your perspective light ALWAYS moves at 670 Million mph. If I am travelling at 1000 mph and shine a torch the light will always move away from me at 670 Million MPH and will always arrive at it's destination at 670 Million MPH..you cannot run away from or catch up with light. OK got that ? LIGHT SPEED IS CONSTANT NO MATTER WHAT. Now time dilation. I explain it like this : We are all moving through space time at light speed in the four dimensions. If we sit perfectly still all of our energy is travelling through time at light speed. If we get up and move some of our energy is travelling through space ( lets say forwards) and thus to conserve energy which cannot be created or destroyed some of the movement through time has to decrease to compensate. If I move through space at light speed there is no more energy to travel though Time..TIME STOPS.. Light travels..at light speed. Light is outside of time.  Does this make sense ? "

And then she kissed me and I realized she probably was right
There must be fifty ways to leave your lover
Fifty ways to leave your lover