Sign in to follow this  
Btron

Can't subtract one complex object from another, Boole, Volume Build, brick wall

I am designing a brick wall from a picture for a projection mapping project. I first drew out the bricks in the frontal view via spline pen, then extruded 2 cm thick and then made editable. Then I drew a spline around the wall, extruded that, made editable. I am attempting to create the grout of the wall this way via subtracting the brick from the flat wall. This way I have two objects I can animate on. Thus far neither Boole or Volume Builder seems to be doing the trick. Whats the path of least resistance I am not seeing here. Thanks!

BrickWall Editable Object.PNG

Extrude.PNG

Flat surface.PNG

Spline.PNG

I would say a boole has a pretty much zero chance of working in this context, and the volume builder would need some very specific settings to be able to deal with details that small, and isn't ideal in any case for producing the grout because of the way it smoothes edges, which is not what you need for this. You presumably need grouting that ends in hard transitions with the brick ?

So, in this case I think the best thing to do would be to get the grout the same way as you got the bricks - via the spline source. That is to say, get a copy of the existing bricks splines and merge them all into one, then do a Spline Mask subtraction from the grout spline to hopefully give you a a single spline that just describes the grouting, and you can extrude to a slightly lesser degree than the bricks. If I'd had the scene file I could have tested this for you to see if it was definitely going to work, but I don't, so that's my best guess without it 😉

CBR

I am a bit confused though. I made the brick spline by hand over the original picture, so are you saying to do a trace of the grout also?

No, I am saying we just need another spline that describes the overall outside border of all the grouting, which could be as simple as a rectangle, although I suspect you will want to 'jaggy up' the edges a bit so it remains in keeping with the scrappy bricks...

In the example below you can see my setup - I just made a new 'grout border' spline, and subtracted the brick spline from it, and there's some grouting !

image.thumb.png.e80e4405067eda03109043b5d6adf808.png

Brick_Wall Grouting.c4d

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Ahh Ha, Perfect! Thank you so much.!