Sign in to follow this  
jbob

image seq keeps missing frames 4, 9, 14, 19, 24...

So I have started having a problem with missing frames in my renders - for example out of a 300 frame shot, After effects would give me the error message that the image sequence is missing 4, 9, 14, 19, 24... in a long sequence.

That exact same same pattern is happening on the whole batch of takes I rendered recently.  

Im on R21.207, Redshift2.6.51  (legit subscription) on a windows 10 machine - with 2x 2060Super gfx cards and 64gb of ram.  each frame is like 12 seconds, just really perplexed this recurring problem.  attaching some screenshots and a project file with my render settings (using redshift) - hoping its something simple, but never seen or heard of this problem before - the number pattern seems not random though, so i feel like .  thanks so much

Screenshot (60).png

Screenshot (59).png

redshift_skipframe_prob_render_settings.c4d redshift_skipframe_prob_render_settings.c4d redshift_skipframe_prob_render_settings.zip

Where are you saving these files to? If it's network drives / NAS, try saving it locally first. I've had similiar issues in the past and ever since I started saving my frames to local disc I haven't had it anymore but I have no idea if that was the fix or just luck.

Is the problem present in the files you uploaded as the scene is empty in all 3 files, and the frame range in the timeline does not match the frame range in the render settings.  We need a scene that has the issue present, so if you cant upload your actual scene can you replicate the problem in a scene you can share that is complete enough to test.  I did notice the project settings are 30fps, and the render settings are 24.

Putting a cube in your scene with basic animation from 0-90 frames showed all frames rendered, Im using Redshift 3.16.

Dan

I have the same trouble.  I am using Redshift also, and I think that my access to the network drive I'm using is too slow.  There is some lack of code in the way C4D saves the files that doesn't give it a chance to buffer or something before saving the next frame.  It just calls the save file code for that frame and brute forces on to the next one.   Since Redshift renders so much faster than the built in renderers I believe the network drive (or the network itself) is a bottle neck and it causes some frames to not save at all, or to be in partial save right as the render goes to save the next frame, causing you to have some frames that are left corrupt.

I never have the problem if I render local to the PC, but if I go to a network drive, if it's a super fast render, I usually end up with missing or corrupt frames sporadically.

Can you guys contact MAXON regarding this problem? Maybe there's already a different solution for this.

Otherwise yeah, it seems for now saving locally is the only solution right now.

• Topic Author
  • Hey folks - So a solution has been found -  in my case the issue was project setting frame rate not matching the render frame rate.   Ended up with that repeating cadence of missing frames.  thanks so much to everyone