Sign in to follow this  
3dkobi

Too dense UV's

Hi guys,

I have an object with dense UV's. What's the best\quickest way to spread it a bit ?

Peace,

Kobi

InkedSharedScreenshot_LI.jpg

UV Peeler is great for this kind of meshes (uniformity parameters especially)

21 minutes ago, bezo said:

thanks - Works great

49 minutes ago, bezo said:

Ok, so it works great. but Is there a way to spread the UV's after I've wrapped it the way I want ? 

Please update your profile to the version you are actually using...

'Spreading them a bit' will not help with a UV map, where the distance between UV polygons is already most correct as it is - in fact it will only introduce additional UV distortion and potentially make things worse. Which is just as well because other than our relax commands and the magnet tool, we don't have specific functionality that would do that.

But I remain uncertain that UV peeler is the best way to deal with this shape, because of its unevenness and lack of rotational symmetry, which may lead the UV peeler to add distortion of its own depending on your settings choices therein, maybe even despite them !  Instead I would be tempted to UV map this as 2 'donut-shaped' UV islands with a seam at the horizontal centre and frontal projection from top / bottom orthographic cameras followed by a regular relax.

CBR

15 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Please update your profile to the version you are actually using...

'Spreading them a bit' will not help with a UV map, where the distance between UV polygons is already most correct as it is - in fact it will only introduce additional UV distortion and potentially make things worse. Which is just as well because other than our relax commands and the magnet tool, we don't have specific functionality that would do that.

But I remain uncertain that UV peeler is the best way to deal with this shape, because of its unevenness and lack of rotational symmetry, which may lead the UV peeler to add distortion of its own depending on your settings choices therein, maybe even despite them !  Instead I would be tempted to UV map this as 2 'donut-shaped' UV islands with a seam at the horizontal centre and frontal projection from top / bottom orthographic cameras followed by a regular relax.

CBR

Profile updated.

Actually I don't need this UV map for textures, but for moving the objects to unreal engine 4 and use the UV map for the baking of the lightmaps. For this, it's better to have not too dense UV map.

So you say there is no tool to do what I want ?

Btw, the UV peeler did a great job on that certain object.

Just now, 3dkobi said:

Btw, the UV peeler did a great job on that certain object.

Yes, we can indeed disregard my previous advice if you are not using the map for textures 🙂

CBR

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, we can indeed disregard my previous advice if you are not using the map for textures 🙂

CBR

But is there a way to make those UV's less dense if I'm not using the UV peeler ? I have other objects with too dense UV's and the UV peeler isn't doing a good job unwrapping them

23 minutes ago, 3dkobi said:

But is there a way to make those UV's less dense if I'm not using the UV peeler ?

Yes and No, but in your case, for all practical purposes, No ! The UV polygons are as dense as the actual polygons you put in the mesh and UV space available to park them in ! Of course you can alter the relative density between loops, but you can't remove any loops (each polygon requires a direct UV equivalent) and the UV space can't change, so how could you practically reduce the density, even if such a tool existed, other than by removing physical polys from mesh ?

CBR

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yes and No, but in your case, for all practical purposes, No ! The UV polygons are as dense as the actual polygons you put in the mesh and UV space available to park them in ! Of course you can alter the relative density between loops, but you can't remove any loops (each polygon requires a direct UV equivalent) and the UV space can't change, so how could you practically reduce the density, even if such a tool existed, other than by removing physical polys from mesh ?

CBR

I think I didn't explain myself good enough (sorry, English is not my first language)...

In the example above some UV polygons are very small and some UV polygons are much bigger, I want to know what's the best way to scale up the smaller ones (Or scale down the big UV polygons), I don't want so much difference between the big and the small UV polygons - And I want to do it without the UV peeler