Sign in to follow this  
mrdatsun

NEWB - have 28fr walkcycle character follow a spline path?

I have made a simple walk cycle in the c4d timeline, following a greyscalegorilla tutorial. Now I want to find a way to take that 28 frame cycle and have the character follow a path.  I can see that cmotion is a way to do this but I feel it is too advanced for me at the moment. I thought there might be a simple way to encapsulate my 28 frame loop into a single object that can follow a path over time in a new timeline. Any suggestions please?

This is the tutorial I followed for the cycle.

https://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/rigging-and-animating-a-simple-character-walk-cycle-in-cinema-4d/

Not looked at the tutorial but if your character is walking using cmotion then its very easy to add a path, let me know and I will show you.  If your character is walking on the spot in place then again its easy to add a path.  I will have a quick look at the tutorial,  but if its too  long I won't have time so your need to provide a scene file and more details.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Rectro said:

Not looked at the tutorial but if your character is walking using cmotion then its very easy to add a path, let me know and I will show you.  If your character is walking on the spot in place then again its easy to add a path.  I will have a quick look at the tutorial,  but if its too  long I won't have time so your need to provide a scene file and more details.

Dan

Dan. Thanks for your reply. The tutorial does not use cmotion, it is a very simple timeline-keyframe cycle.

Iv made a video for you, its uploading now.  Stay tuned.

Dan

Here is the video link.  give it 10min max for it to be processed by Youtube.

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, Rectro said:

Iv made a video for you, its uploading now.  Stay tuned.

Dan

Hi Dan. So good and so well-explained! Thank-you for taking the time to do this. I had a suspicion that motion clips might be useful, but I had no idea you could loop them like that and then animate them along a spline.  It's everything I need. And the tips for dealing with the quirks of the technique are very useful.

I destroyed the character walkcycle I started with, as some the legs were bending with a mind of their own. What I have been doing in the hours since I watched your video was make a new project trying to use align-to-spline tags to animate simple objects and then looping them with your technique. Now that i have finally worked out how to use userdata tags and xpresso to create align-to-spline animations that motion clips can use, I've got a nice animation technique worked out that i think I can use in many interesting ways. I will also re-address my old walk-cycle idea and make sure I can get that working cleanly too.

Again, thanks so much for you help!

1 hour ago, mrdatsun said:

Hi Dan. So good and so well-explained! Thank-you for taking the time to do this. I had a suspicion that motion clips might be useful, but I had no idea you could loop them like that and then animate them along a spline.  It's everything I need. And the tips for dealing with the quirks of the technique are very useful.

I destroyed the character walkcycle I started with, as some the legs were bending with a mind of their own. What I have been doing in the hours since I watched your video was make a new project trying to use align-to-spline tags to animate simple objects and then looping them with your technique. Now that i have finally worked out how to use userdata tags and xpresso to create align-to-spline animations that motion clips can use, I've got a nice animation technique worked out that i think I can use in many interesting ways. I will also re-address my old walk-cycle idea and make sure I can get that working cleanly too.

Again, thanks so much for you help!

Your very welcome.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Rectro said:

Your very welcome.

Dan

Dan. I came across a problem. I wonder whether you have an idea what is happening? The second loop onwards in the motion clip plays backwards half-way and then forwards. This probably has to do with the fact I have two splines that make up the two halves of a complete sequence, but I can't work out why it goes wrong or how to fix it. Best way to see what i am doing is the file, if you have time to look at it please?

Maybe what I am doing is not he best way, but it seemed like a logical way to get the effect I was after. The idea is that the table has to flip upside down and then the right way up repeatedly along what will be a path - when it is finished.

TableJumper4.c4d