Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Modify ground shadow in AE

I have an OpenEXR file where I saved multipasses: Atmosphere, Atmosphere (Multiply), Refraction, Ambient Occlusion, Ambient, Shadow, Diffuse, Background, Alpha, Object Buffer., RGBA.

Now, for the object (which is a dinosaur) shadow I used a Shadow Catcher material applied to a plane and I saved as Multipass. I checked Straight Alpha as well.

My issue after bringing this in After Effects is how to edit the object's ground shadow? (I don't mean the Shadow pass, which seem to be different than the object's ground shadow). See the image attached. I want to make that shadow not to have so hard edges, I want to make it soft.

I am using the physical render so I can't use the Shadow Maps (Soft) in C4D for the Light I am using (that works only with using the standard renderer). I had to use Raytraced or Area shadow, which both produces hard edges.

PS.

In After Effects, after importing the EXR file, you can extract the multipasses by selecting the file, going to File->Create ProEXR Layer Comp (or you can use the Extractor effect - but it's more tedious). I don't see which one of those multipasses controls that ground shadow.

Here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/75ru5k4f7a9vynm/2_0043.exr?dl=0

Hi,

Apply some blur to your shadow pass layer, it will make it more soft.

6 hours ago, danijelk said:

Hi,

Apply some blur to your shadow pass layer, it will make it more soft.

That's the problem, that I tried and it seems it doesn't work. Like the shadow pass is not the same as that shadow left on the ground by the model.

Did you try it?