Sign in to follow this  
Ogunzinho

Getting Expresso to Evaluate the current frame!

HI

I have a basic setup with a cloner and I'm using Expresso plus a MoGraph Data Node to get the Position of a specific clone and stick a simple sphere primitive to its position. A math node adds enough Y vector to have the sphere sit neatly on top of the clone.

The clones are animated by a shader effector with a delay effector set to Spring. I have baked the cloner, so the movement from the effectors is all pre-calculated and cached.

My problem is, at render time, the Expresso doesn't properly evaluate the current frame, so the sphere is always lagging or overtaking its clone-position (derived from the Expresso MoGraph data node). One can demonstrate this clearly by advancing to a particular frame where the clone is obviously intersecting with the sphere. If I click anywhere in the viewport or object manager, the expression evaluates and the sphere moves to it's correct location. But when rendering, no - the geometry lags behind.

No amount of Priority fiddling seems to make any difference.

What am I doing wrong?

Author of the topic Posted

The lag effect is less pronounced if I remove the delay effector...

The question is, how to obtain the correct Global Matrix or Position data after all the effectors have done their thing and apply these values to my sphere on the correct frame so it is never intersecting the clone?

I can upload a sample file if that would help?

Yes, a sample file would be helpful.

Hi, thanks for engaging

The shader jpeg sequence is in the tex folder, the setup is super simple otherwise.

As an example, advance to frame 38.

Many thanks!

ClonerPosition.zip

Not exactly sure when MoGraph caches are evaluated, but setting the Xpresso tag priority to generator did the trick for me. 

YOU ABSOLUTE BEAUTY

Always with the simple things. Thanks so much! Result!

5 hours ago, Ogunzinho said:

so the sphere is always lagging

1365394723_oneframe.png.dcc6d8e6e1eda5b37012a80549b1b893.png

OK, now we get to the actual issue!

Even with this solved, my scene is completely FUBAR'ed by the Physical Renderer motion blur.

I have uploaded a stripped version of the real scene and I'd love some advice about what I can do about it, if anyone can help.

So: Expresso set to Generators, and the clone is tracked and position copied. You'll need to bake the cache for the cloner, had to leave it unbaked for file upload.

If you check the scene and render frame 50 without Motion Blur, great, expected result.

Now enable the motion blur and re-render.

WTAF?!

Bizarre.

All I need, is for the damn sphere to sit on the damn clone, wherever it moves, and not intersect.
ARGH.

From frames 40-50 I get all kindsaweird, and I have no idea why

Please let it be something equally simple :)

ClonerPosition_moblur.zip