Sign in to follow this  
Michael Goldshteyn

WIN-R21: Using Alt key to open menus (e.g., Alt-F for File Menu)

Has anyone found a setting in R21 that allows for the Alt key to be used to open menus like in other windows programs.

This would allow, for example, default Windows Application behavior like "Alt-F" to open the file menu and then "S" to save.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael, please don't dump all your posts in General Discussion - that is not where they belong. In this case I have moved it to GUI where it should be.

Cheers

CBR

Cinema 4D uses its own GUI code to allow common handling for all supported operating systems. So, not all standard OS specific behaviorisms are supported. I do not think that the Windows Alt functionality for menus is available.

I don't even see how this can be practical in a GUI where you may have a menu in any window. In my layout, I have the main menu, the viewport menu (in a tab, even), the OM menu, the layers menu... to determine which menu to open, you'd need at least to point the mouse at the proper window, which in case of the main menu means that the mouse is as good as on the menu anyway...

If you really miss Alt-something combinations, you can define them yourself through the customize command window. Alt-F~S can be set as two-key shortcut for Save, e.g. (you will lose existing Alt-combinations though - Alt-F currently opens the F-curve display).

This will require a lot of manual work, though, as you'd need to define a shortcut for each menu item. And I do not exactly recommend keyboard shortcuts that use changing qualifiers (in this case Alt/not Alt) because it's hard on the fingers.

Myself, I have indeed defined tons of shortcuts - not industry compatible, but logically sequenced - starting with one key for the functional group, then continuing a shortcut for the actual command (like - R for render, then I for interactive render region, or V for viewport, or T plus more letters for Team Render). That means quite often three-key shortcuts (more keys are not really practical) but they are easy to memorize.

Or you just use the Commander window. Or the star menu. Or...

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, Cairyn said:

Cinema 4D uses its own GUI code to allow common handling for all supported operating systems. So, not all standard OS specific behaviorisms are supported. I do not think that the Windows Alt functionality for menus is available.

I don't even see how this can be practical in a GUI where you may have a menu in any window. In my layout, I have the main menu, the viewport menu (in a tab, even), the OM menu, the layers menu... to determine which menu to open, you'd need at least to point the mouse at the proper window, which in case of the main menu means that the mouse is as good as on the menu anyway...

If you really miss Alt-something combinations, you can define them yourself through the customize command window. Alt-F~S can be set as two-key shortcut for Save, e.g. (you will lose existing Alt-combinations though - Alt-F currently opens the F-curve display).

You made some very good points in your post about C4Ds differences from a normal Windows app. Thank you!