Sign in to follow this  
Marc Trzepla

Interactive Render Region (IRR) 100% Quality Not Great

I'm trying to track down why my IRR, even when set to 100% Detail, still looks soft and low rez, regardless of renderer.  This test is with Physical, but I experience the same with Standard as well as the trial of Redshift I downloaded.

I see that the IRR slider on the right does not affect any of the Render Setting values, that it's limited to the IRR Detail slider alone. (I tested worst-to-best IRR and none of the Render Setting values changed)

Here are 3 picts showing my issue:

1st - IRR at the lowest Detail setting.  

2nd - IRR at the highest Detail setting.  The render looks soft, and a zoom of an edge shows the antialiasing to be wide and chewy.

3rd - last image is of the same shot, but rendered to the Picture Viewer.  Notice the edge is crisp and the antialiasing is tight.

Possible note-worthy clue:  the camera label (Perspective) is soft, even though the rest of the C4D interface is crisp and sharp

When y'all use IRR, are you able to get a test render that looks just as good as Picture Viewer / final output?

Thanks,

Marc

IRR1.jpg

IRR2.jpg

IRR3.jpg

31 minutes ago, Marc Trzepla said:

I'm trying to track down why my IRR, even when set to 100% Detail, still looks soft and low rez, regardless of renderer. 

I think it's by design. It is a preview, and only ever meant to be used as such...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Ah, bummer.  I was treating it like the render region from my Softimage days, where you could mirror render quality settings between the region and the final render.

I was looking for an alternative workflow to the Redshift Render View, (I've been playing around with the trial) but I could never get the IRR to look as good as the Render View result.  Thought it was a Redshift issue, but it's the same way with Standard and Physical.

Thanks,

Marc

I know you have to call it manually, but we do have render region as well, and that is full quality...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • C4D has a another render region that's different than the interactive render region?  Or are you referring to the Redshift render region, below?

RS Render Region.jpg

Render Region command from Render menu and render only selected region/part of viewport. It´s full render (by render settings), but only for selected region in viewport

IRR is interactive, refresh selected render region everytime something change in the scene. Mainly used for light setups/setings ...

You could adjust IRR for whole viewport (or newly created view) and use it for real preview of the scene.

• Topic Author
  • Bezo - thanks about the Render -> Render Region.  Learned something new today.  And I saw that adjusting Render Settings affected the quality.

But ... my viewport test renders continue to be sub-par, no matter which render technique I use (Render View, Render Region, Interactive Render Region)

So let me ask - when anyone else does a test render in the viewport, any render engine, do your renders suffer from quality issues?

Viewport RR vs PV or RV 01 200.jpg

Viewport RR vs PV or RV 02 200.jpg

Viewport RR vs PV or RV 03 200.jpg

Viewport RR vs PV or RV 04 200.jpg

• Topic Author
  • I shared my issue with MAXON Support  .. .  turns out this is a bug related to high DPI displays.  It has already been reported - hopefully some day it'll be fixed.