Cloner Field Color and Scale change help

Hi folks,

I'm struggling with something I thought would be an easy animation and i'd love some help.  

I have a mass of clones, they will be discs representing coral on a map.  I need to illustrate die-off so I want them to turn red, scale up a bit them scale down as the field closes in around the edges.  I have the scale working but it's in reverse and I can't figure out how to make it scale up a bit then scale down.  I had the color changing at one point but I can't seem to make it work again.   Summing it up:

1.  Create an effect where cloners scale up at the edges of the clones, turn red as they do, then scale down.

2. Have the pattern be in irregular chunks rather then a perfect shape like a sphere or plain.  

I'd love any suggestions folks can offer.  I attached a file below.  I'm working in R21

Thanks!

Scale_Color_Help.c4d

You need mograph capable shader in your material for this to work. Then it is just a matter of using simple effector and some fields...

7 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

You need mograph capable shader in your material for this to work. Then it is just a matter of using simple effector and some fields...

Thanks for the response, Hrvoje.  I'm not completely clear on what you mean though.  Is the shader for the shape or the die off?  I'm not able to jump in to C4D at the moment but will soon and try and see if I can figure out what you mean.  Anymore details would be great, a bit of a noob with some of this!