Sign in to follow this  
OTTI

modelling fishscale

• Topic Author
  • Ok. This is seems to be quite complex process..

Yes it is 🙂 Here's Stage 2 of the modelling approach, which consists of taking that surface we made earlier, temporarily removing the bevels and SDS, spline wrapping it via a circle and a rail, and FFD-ing it into the right general shape like so. This requires quite a complex and specific hierarchy to achieve, although it is remaining nice and parametric at this stage...

image.thumb.png.83c542e6c016b3a12dfb9080acb4e35b.png  

image.png.d866ef63c39ceacf4cdb5699db38646c.png

That gives us this sort of result once bevels and subdivision are re-applied, at which point we'd be ready for Stage 3, isolating the patches of this we need, applying symmetry, and modelling the rest of it etc etc...

image.thumb.png.1390f442a129c70de9b451459ca12f59.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • nice..

Ok, right here is a 8k map, plenty big enough to project from.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ihsi2tzaa0dtaz/plane_1001_Height.zip?dl=0

Now a few notes, it aint going to be easy, you need to learn them sculpting tools, and pick the right options such as mirror when doing sides, Pull brush with Stencil turned on.  Important note on the geometry.  You mesh must be fairly evenly distributed for the polygons.  You dont want too much different in the size of each polygon.  It may be bests to tessellate it first, I know in Zbrush that's a good option, in C4D no clue, I don't use it for this type of sculpting.  When I did my fish it was for rendering, but to get a clean lay down its always best to go the Uv route as you can "In zbrush" project directly onto the Uvs rather than on the model, this gets the best results.  Also again in Zbrush I can tessellate and retain my Uvs.  You don't have to have Uvs if you intent to hand sculpt/project it on but its more tricky as you will need to shift the map or mesh to align up as you rotate the mesh to different angles.

How I would do it?

Without doubt it would be do it in Substance Painter on a very high quality Uv map.  Load the mesh into ZBrush, and apply the generated heightmap to a high res mesh, then tesselate it.

Good luck!

Dan