Sign in to follow this  
OTTI

modelling fishscale

Hi guys,

my plan is to create a model of fishing lure with scales. It would be nice if someone could tell me workflow for it.. Outcome should be printable object.

Thank you in advance.

fishscale.thumb.jpg.2c041be8fe3a8b8ea42f37c81a4d2dc8.jpg

rg, Otti

Hi

If recently made a carp and by far the best way was with substance painter.  I looked at many options but that was the best and cleanest method.  You could get away with finding a texture for that size scale but for me I had to cover a larger surface.  Second to substance was Zbrush.

You could do it in C4D but with much easier methods I wouldn't go that route.  Key here is very good uv map.  If you don't have substance painter or don't know to use it I can either show you or make one huge tiled map for you.   You can then use that in c4d as a stamp.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • I rather need workflow how to model fishscales. So, texturing and materials are not importanta here.. 

2 hours ago, OTTI said:

So, texturing and materials are not importanta (sic) here.. 

No, that's simply not true when you need to use parts of the material workflow in order to get your modelling done, which is what Dan is wisely suggesting. If you had the level of skill required to be able to model this by hand, you wouldn't need to be asking this question. And back in R18 you don't have the volume builder, so no lazy, cheat-y substitutes like cloned scales or spline wraps are going to work here either because you need a solid mesh for printing.

So your only options are 1. modelling it by hand, which is very difficult, very time consuming, probably beyond your skill level, and out of the scope of what can reasonably be achieved in any single forum post or 2, with sculpting stamps / bump / normal / displacement, which is what Dan is suggesting, along with his exceptionally generous offer to even make you the map ! I could tell you how to model this properly step-by-step, but that would take around 4 hours, and would be a chargeable event.

CBR

Just to add to what Cerbera is saying just because you use textures it don't mean you need to keep them on your model.  You can load a large displacement texture as a stencil and project it through onto the surface, or use a stamp to place one at a time.  What I was suggesting is I make you a large high res bump map which will avoid creating multiple takes shifting the stencil around. or go the stamp method.  Zbrush would use a similar method.  Only thing you would need to do is possible tessellate the model to bring the poly count down after.

Dan

c4d scales stelcil.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Ok. Thank you for this information. So, obviously I need to study uv map basics first. Iĺl be back. Thanks guys.

-Otti

6 minutes ago, OTTI said:

Ok. Thank you for this information. So, obviously I need to study uv map basics first. Iĺl be back. Thanks guys.

-Otti

Only if you go the Substance painter route as that relies on Uv map.  If you go with using a stencil and dont wish to apply a texture via a material then no Uv maps needed.  Its till a good idea to understanding basic modeling and Uv mapping as at its core this is the very basics you need to know in any 3D application.

What your dealing with is high resolution polygon mesh, the Uv route is for rendering purposes so you need a medium to low polygon mesh with Uv map to apply surface detail at render time.  On more technical models there is more to it when it comes to 3D printing, but I dont know too much about this, but I do know Zbrush is more geared for this as it has new tools just for printing.

Dan

an

• Topic Author
  • So, Dan, if you have a large high res bump map to share, it would be very nice. Or if you don´t have, what you need from to make one.

-Otti

I can make you one in Substance painter.  To make one you either need to buy a large high res texture of fish scales which is hard to find, or find a lower res one and replicate it as a  tile in Photoshop, you need good Photoshop skills to pull that off well, and its time consuming.

Dan

Just to give you some basic insight as to what is involved if you try and model this, here is the first stage, in which we design a low poly scale that is eminently tileable in a honeycomb array to produce a usable surface...

image.thumb.png.ff6dca719c152382ea4cbe0af1a60982.png

So on the left is our source tile, middle is what that looks like cloned and connected, and on the right bevelled, subdivided and ready for further deformation... stage 1 of many...

CBR