Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Walk in place to walk in line, how to?

I have this animated model I purchased from somewhere (it is rigged). It's a dinosaur walking.

But it is walking in place and I want to make it walk in line for several seconds. How do I do that? (as a workaround I made it walk on a spline, but it seems there is a bit of sliding there, that's why I want to have it walk in line without a spline to help)

I looked for some tutorials on the net but couldn't find so far. It seems it wasn't animated using Character and CMotion from C4D (although the file is C4D).

See the attached file https://www.dropbox.com/s/twf731uqshbtxcx/walk.c4d?dl=0

Few days ago there was a thread about something similar. If you don´t know about C-Motion, this video will help you with simple animation. But C-Motion offers a lot of more posibilities...

39 minutes ago, bezo said:

Few days ago there was a thread about something similar. If you don´t know about C-Motion, this video will help you with simple animation. But C-Motion offers a lot of more posibilities...

Yeah, I have done that thing with the spline and eventually I would have to adjust so the character won't be skidding anymore.

But I wondered how can I convert walk in place to walk in line of the animation I already have without using spline.

4 hours ago, mikoian said:

Yeah, I have done that thing with the spline and eventually I would have to adjust so the character won't be skidding anymore.

But I wondered how can I convert walk in place to walk in line of the animation I already have without using spline.

You simply add a pivot object to the clip, and animate the pivot object forward.  The pace of the steps and the distance will dictate how fast the pivot object can move from point A to point B. 

As @bezo mentioned Cmotion is the other option.  It takes a bit more setting up but you can check box a single option to get the character to walk forward, and how fast or slow, and short or long the stride, as well as follow a path.  You can also edit the footsteps which is handy for walking up stairs, or over obstacles.  The basic idea is that either the joints or controllers are added to Cmotion and each controler runs through a phase according to a spline curve.  This will let you choose different positions and rotations.   Its quite fun and can be used for more than just charcters.

There is also the point that you can add a bit or random movement here and there.  My last project using Cmotion was to make a spider walk using my own rig, its looked very convincing.

Dan

1 hour ago, Rectro said:

You simply add a pivot object to the clip, and animate the pivot object forward.  The pace of the steps and the distance will dictate how fast the pivot object can move from point A to point B. 

Dan

I tried doing that...by adding a motion clip to the animation (it wasn't motion clipped) and then create a Pivot object. I animated the pivot object but the model doesn't move forward. Still is walking in place...what I am doing wrong?

1 hour ago, Rectro said:

As @bezo mentioned Cmotion is the other option.  It takes a bit more setting up but you can check box a single option to get the character to walk forward, and how fast or slow, and short or long the stride, as well as follow a path.  You can also edit the footsteps which is handy for walking up stairs, or over obstacles.  The basic idea is that either the joints or controllers are added to Cmotion and each controler runs through a phase according to a spline curve.  This will let you choose different positions and rotations.   Its quite fun and can be used for more than just charcters.

Dan

Also, my character is already rigged...and I see that to use CMotion you have to use Character first (from C4D) and rig it before adding CMotion. Can I use CMotion on an already made rig (which was not made with Character)?

9 hours ago, mikoian said:

I tried doing that...by adding a motion clip to the animation (it wasn't motion clipped) and then create a Pivot object. I animated the pivot object but the model doesn't move forward. Still is walking in place...what I am doing wrong?

I dont know what your doing wrong, guess you should add a file.  The steps are as follows.

1: Have keyframe animation on your characters rig.

2: selecting the root joint, make a motion clip.

3: Go into Animation layout, play back in Motion mode to see all is working.

4: Add any loops needed for walk on spot slip.

5: With clip selected go to settings where your have the option to add either a pivot object keyed or not.  Choose keyed.

6: within the clip range move the pivot object forward and set a a key from the timeline.

(some details may be slightly different as Im going purely by memory, I will make a silent video of the steps)

Dan

On 3/27/2020 at 12:01 PM, Rectro said:

Thank you, I will try your video.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:01 PM, Rectro said:

Yeah, your Mixamo clip is perfect for looping...but mine is not. And most of the clips are like that, not ideal for looping.

Here is my clip https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pf9k81ylxpxxty/stegosaurus.c4d?dl=0 ...this is not walk in place (it's another type of movement, walk in line). But when I do motion clips the next two motion clips added make the model walk in place instead of continuing walk in line. Also, Relative Loops doesn't work because it makes my model start over. Frustrating....