Sign in to follow this  
iamnew

Serious Modelling Questions

Posted (edited)

Hi cinema4d community. I am new in cinema4d and wanted to ask you some questions. I hope you can help me. 

Here are my questions:

- is there a similar select? Plugin? (like in 3dsmax)

- is there a pattern select? Plugin?  (like in modo, houdini)

- is it possible to constrain the ffd on selected polygons? as it seems it works on the whole object

- why does the vertex map restriction tag not work with bevel modifier? Any other modifier seems to work. Is there a solution to this?

- in the transform type in (left bottom called position tab) there are three modes: 1. object(abs) 2. object(rel) 3. world. did not find anything in the documentations between the differences and a description

- how can you transform relative to the gizmo axis with the transform type in? For example in object space I want to move the object 1cm. How can you do that?

- i have remapped the shortcut Q, which was by default for the activation of subdivision. which command was bound the Q key? cannot find the correct one

- is it possible to create crease sets? they are really handy. i know you can crease with the "." key

- can you in cinema straight edges/points or uniformly distribute them? Are there some plugins which can do this (beside HB_ModelingBundle)?

- is there a plugin which can slide, constrain and soft select  components at the same time ? (like in 3dsmax). There was a kyamaslide plugin, but not sure how it solves my request and i cannot find it for R20.

- in R20 is only houdini engine 16 possible, not the newer ones?

I know this are many questions, I hope you can help me. Thank you very much!

Edited by Cerbera
Re-titled for future search use

34 minutes ago, iamnew said:

- is there a similar select? Plugin? (like in 3dsmax)

- is there a pattern select? Plugin?  (like in modo, houdini)

No, yes (Code Voncs Selections suppletives).

is it possible to constrain the ffd on selected polygons? as it seems it works on the whole project

Yes, restriction tag.

why does the vertex map restriction tag not work with bevel modifier? Any other modifier seems to work. Is there a solution to this?

Because you can't have degrees of bevel - it is either bevelled or it isn't / use component selections instead.

how can you transform relative to the gizmo axis with the transform type in? For example in object space I want to move the object 1cm. How can you do that?

Take the relevant value in the coordinates manager and add '+1cm' to the end of it, or use Move Quantize, which you can set to any value you like in modelling options.. All numerical fields accept mathematical input. If you need to move the Axis only, enable Axis Mode (L).

i have remapped the shortcut Q, which was by default for the activation of subdivision. which command was bound the Q key? cannot find the correct one

Q by default turns parent generator on and off. Designed primarily to work with SDS, and therefore one of the most important things to have short-cutted.

is it possible to create crease sets? they are really handy. i know you can crease with the "." key

Yes. Make edge selections, and then either use '.' key or call Weight Subdivision Surface and type the value in you need. Works best with OpenSubDiv and subdivision 1 or 2 levels higher than you would ordinarily need...

can you in cinema straight edges/points or uniformly distribute them? Are there some plugins which can do this?

No, but HB modelling Bundle does, which is essential for anyone serious about modelling in Cinema. It also does quad-caps, comes with a very useful retopo setup, and features hundreds of modelling additions / alternatives.

in R20 is only houdini engine 16 possible, not the newer ones?

No, not the newer ones.

CBR

58 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No, yes (Code Voncs Selections suppletives).

Yes, restriction tag.

Because you can't have degrees of bevel - it is either bevelled or it isn't / use component selections instead.

Take the relevant value in the coordinates manager and add '+1cm' to the end of it, or use Move Quantize, which you can set to any value you like in modelling options.. All numerical fields accept mathematical input. If you need to move the Axis only, enable Axis Mode (L).

Q by default turns parent generator on and off. Designed primarily to work with SDS, and therefore one of the most important things to have short-cutted.

Yes. Make edge selections, and then either use '.' key or call Weight Subdivision Surface and type the value in you need. Works best with OpenSubDiv and subdivision 1 or 2 levels higher than you would ordinarily need...

No, but HB modelling Bundle does, which is essential for anyone serious about modelling in Cinema. It also does quad-caps, comes with a very useful retopo setup, and features hundreds of modelling additions / alternatives.

No, not the newer ones.

CBR

Thank you for your feedback!

Some questions on my side.

1) Code Voncs Selections suppletives supports alternate selection which is not "pattern selection" in the sense of modo and houdini. I mean the interactive pattern selection. You select a pattern and it extends it in a way which extends the selected pattern. alternate pattern is a special case.

2) I know one can use the restriction tag for the ffd. But then the ffd cage is not aligned to the selection, which is unfortunately useless. Is there a way to restrict the cage to the selection in a fast way (Fit to parent obviously does this not)?

3) You mean, you cannot have degrees of bevel in cinema? Because in other softwares like houdini and max you can. in houdini you define a custom attribute and in max, the weight map can be used for this. But okay, cinema does not support it so it seems.

4) I know you can enter formulas in every field, but this does not solve my problem. I want to take place the translation in object space for example, not in world space. quantize is a good alternative but i thought you can use the type in on the left bottom for this when you select object(rel) mode

5) Okay good to know with the Q key

6) Yes with the key "." you can crease. I am talking here about crease sets. A crease set is a selection of edges with the same crease weight. The Structure tab can show you edge weights, but sets are not visible. Searching for something like the crease set manager in maya or max.

Again, thank you very much for your time!

If you really do need all those features you are better off in Max or Modo. Both are still superior modelling toolsets although MAXON are working hard to change that. But we don't have crease sets or management unfortunately.

CBR

Yes at least max is more powerful than cinema. but it makes more fun and it is more robust in cinema. it seems everything is more straight forward and very versatile (something i loved in softimage).

Yep, I agree entirely 🙂 - I came from Max, and stayed for the nicer environment, and workflows etc, but shared a lot of your frustrations when I first got here. That was 10 versions ago when Cinema's modelling toolset was considerably more lacking than it is now, but we must remember it has always been trying to catch up with Max's and Maya's serious head starts and years of modelling development. Cinema's too has got orders of magnitude better over 10 versions, but we are going to need another few revisions to come close to the programs that had such a massive head start.

Generally speaking, and as someone who has done mainly modelling for a living in Cinema I can honestly report that there are ways around almost every issue you mention, but they often involve slightly different workflows or approaches. Just very occasionally I do reach a brick wall where I can't find any way of doing something I need to, but in 95% of cases Cinema's modelling set (with HB modelling bundle and a few other small plugins) is enough to get most jobs done. In a lot of those cases Blender or something else can fill the gap.

CBR 

The most I am missing from max is the slide, softselection, constraint combo, which is really powerful. And of course the modifiers. Perhaps they will give in one of the next updates cinema more procedural power, that would be cool. I think underneath there is already much there.

Yes it's hard not to look back fondly at 'The Stack' and wish we had something similar over here, particularly in regards to symmetry and edit poly etc. But with each new iteration good strides are made both in regular poly modelling tools and in Parametric workflow, so I think the future looks generally optimistic in that area.

CBR