R22 Wishlist

• Community Staff
1 hour ago, Adrien said:

-Harmonisation of the material system (the reflectance channel is highly confusing)

Huh, that is a good point. Years back I remember taking very long to understand how it exactly works, how to stack stuff etc. You're right, it IS highly confusing but I just forgot about it because I learned it.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• Silver Contributor

1. Viewport improvements. From speed of simulations to having a better sense of how materials will render.

2. An actual monthly subscription rather than an annual subscription, this would be so much easier to sell to management as they love a monthly cost and dread an annual cost. 

3. I used to wish for UV tools but I got fed up with waiting and bought Rizom instead, but if they can come up with something of its calibre, so much the better. 

Frankly, R22 is going to have to be pretty damn dazzling to keep people on board. I love C4D and want it to flourish but... well, we all know.

• 3 weeks later...

- Multi UV editing

- Select Edges of UV islands (to create phong breaks for proper baking) 

- Volume builder performance

Also I wish for this for so long - please allow us to have materials in a shared folder that can be accessed by all projects. 

Not like the content library but like a windows folder - or add a "auto update" function to the content library. With inheritance and changes changing all. 

Materials should just be in one folder and update. Just like in a game engine, or windows. its so superior. No 15 different rubber materials in 15 projects.

Also C4D renderer wouldnt be half as bad if they had Tone Mapping.

17 hours ago, Shrike said:

- Multi UV editing

- Select Edges of UV islands (to create phong breaks for proper baking) 

- Volume builder performance

Also I wish for this for so long - please allow us to have materials in a shared folder that can be accessed by all projects. 

Not like the content library but like a windows folder - or add a "auto update" function to the content library. With inheritance and changes changing all. 

Materials should just be in one folder and update. Just like in a game engine, or windows. its so superior. No 15 different rubber materials in 15 projects.

Also C4D renderer wouldnt be half as bad if they had Tone Mapping.

C4d’s standard render engine does have tone mapping...

• 3 months later...

Here are the top 5 things I really hope the newer version of C4D implements 🙂

- An improved character animation module, better auto weights, etc...  (I heard they will talk something about it on IBC! Fingers Crossed)
- Realtime viewport preview when working with some of the sketch and toon modules, right now, these non-photorealistic projects relies on Interactive render region, which is quite slow and unrensponsive...
- A better sketch and toon, something that allows us to control the overall scene shadows/gradients, etc, like you can already do inside the cel shader, but in a global/scene level.
- A proper symmetry mode... something that allows you to make adjustments to a model, even if it is not under a symmetry object no longer (ie: a character already rigged, etc) 
- Something like... bendy bones from Blender? I know we have spline IK, but it would be awesome to have something that could be easily integrated into a facial rig for instance..

And of course, an indie license! That would be the icing on the cake! 

On 4/3/2020 at 3:39 PM, DasFrodo said:

Huh, that is a good point. Years back I remember taking very long to understand how it exactly works, how to stack stuff etc. You're right, it IS highly confusing but I just forgot about it because I learned it.

Same for me. I got  used to it but what a mess compared to the previous workflow. The part that confused me the most was the interaction with the color channel and the difference with the layer color. And damn, how slow has it become if you want to follow a PBR workflow 

• Community Staff
15 hours ago, Adrien said:

Same for me. I got  used to it but what a mess compared to the previous workflow. The part that confused me the most was the interaction with the color channel and the difference with the layer color. And damn, how slow has it become if you want to follow a PBR workflow 

Yeah at this point I don't even think it's worth reworking anything in Standard / Physical. It's just too damn slow compared to pretty much everything on the market, and definitely compared to popular renders like Redshift and Octane.

They need to either replace it completely or leave it alone. It's just not worth it.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...