Sign in to follow this  
Rolands Zilvinskis

Exporting FBX from Daz3D to Cinema 4D clothing problems

Hey,

I'm not sure if I've posted in the right category, but couldn't find anything suitable.

Basically, I've ran into an issue with clothing when exporting an FBX from Daz into Cinema 4d. I've attached screenshots below. As you can see, the first screenshot is how the clothing looks in Daz and the second one is how it looks when imported into Cinema 4d. Completely broken and not matching the character. It's a simulated piece of clothing within Daz so maybe that is the issue? Because I don't recall having a similar issue before when I used normal clothing on characters.

I've tried probably every different export setting you could try and whatever I do it still comes in broken. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Annotation 2020-04-02 111417.png

Annotation 2020-04-02 111339.png

Perfect category choice  😹

I don't use DAZ so can't comment on what may have gone wrong there, or compatibility between the 2 apps, but as a 'fairly' painless practical fix, couldn't you select key areas of the mesh (either with soft selection or not as best suited your purposes), and then magnet tool the clothing back to where it should be ?

It doesn't look off by that much, so that might not be as tedious as it first seems...

Failing that, I wonder if @Rectro knows more...

CBR

Hi

Thats very odd.  Dont use DAZ Studio myself but if you have simulated the mesh, and its frozen in that final position, I assume that is the case, then nothing should change it.  I can only speculate that the issue is from DAZ Studio end as C4D will only load what you give it.  As Cerbera said, its a easy fix, use the sculpting tools to pull it back but for future issues if you have time I would try to get to the bottom of it.  Upload the OBJ files and Il take a look, but Im sure Im going to see what ever DAZ Studio exported.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • I've heard that Daz and Cinema 4D don't really like each other as much, especially when it comes to FBX. I uploaded the files to my Dropbox, you can downloas them here and check them out for yourself if you like - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hjnfs8rfhf0fzho/AAANkLKwvvRetm-GgsZJ1hv9a?dl=0 

The OBJ file comes in perfectly fine as usual, can always trust OBJ's if working with just static stuff. So, I mean it isn't the end of the world if I'm not doing animation, I can just use OBJ but for the future if I do want to do animation or even do some small adjustments within C4D with the FBX then yeah this will be a problem. It's a bit of a shame that C4D and Daz have these issues between them.

26 minutes ago, Rolands Zilvinskis said:

It's a bit of a shame that C4D and Daz have these issues between them.

Although not a user myself, I do follow the progress over the years and compatibility between the 2 has come on in leaps and bounds over the versions, and there is no reason to think it won't continue to do so, so it might just be a time thing before they iron out the last few problems...

CBR