Sign in to follow this  
wexx

Is there a way to correct this?

Hi,

I created a sphere and made some polygon selections than i extruded them. Finally i applied subdivision surface. When i was texturing the model, i faced this problem in the extruded parts. 

23526.jpg

Could be a few things, but most likely to do with mapping mode and relative poly sizes. Please either upload some wireframes of the model, or better still the scene file (.c4d) itself (we don't need the texture, but feel free ti include it if you like).

CBR

Can you post scene file? It looks like different scale in in UV´s between polyislands of sphere...

• Topic Author
  • Thank you.  Sent the model.

model.rar

As I said, differently scaled UV´s create these material borders and your parametric setup with moextrude isn´t very helpfull for texturing this way.

If you want to keep parametric setup, try to use different material projection (in my example spherical) to achieve better results. If you want only static image without animation, I would go for full polyobject (without moextrude)...

btw, when you look on your model, with this kind of sphere "horns" around poles are stretched, because polygons are not square but rectangle. Maybe you could use sphere with (almost) the same size polygons...

spherical_vs_UVW.thumb.png.a9fb8e0f820895ab5178131bd9c24f76.png

or in case you use internal shaders only (no bitmaps), you could use UVW mapping but UV´s in this case must be enormously enlarged....

spherical_vs_UVW_UV_enlarged.thumb.png.d76d732b1ccc25fcb56a6df1bb3f16ac.png

• Topic Author
  • I don't know so much about modeling so i can not create this model without extruding. I just applied a C4D material with some bump. This will be a static image and i want to take one frame render. 

When we look at your base mesh, with its horrible overlapping / intersecting polys, it is no wonder we get this sort of result even despite the mitigation provided by Subdivision...

image.thumb.png.e6da118c5894724e195766c26e168b5a.png

That tells us that MoExtrude is not the correct tool to make this with - instead you should do it with individual stepped Extrude commands, using Normal Scale (as different from regular scale tool) to change all the polys at once as needed.

Using this method you can avoid having to use a step effector, and also any mesh intersection.

1173172560_Propertopology.thumb.gif.5aeb2559125f53cc75e6e6db411b0867.gif

Doing that, in conjunction with @bezo's suggestions, and also turning off Edge Breaks in the Phong tag will all play a part in eradicating your material problem...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

When we look at your base mesh, with its horrible overlapping / intersecting polys, it is no wonder we get this sort of result even despite the mitigation provided by Subdivision...

image.thumb.png.e6da118c5894724e195766c26e168b5a.png

Thank you so much. I will try normal extrude method. I found another method in youtube but it creates too much symmetry in the model. 

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

That tells us that MoExtrude is not the correct tool to make this with - instead you should do it with individual stepped Extrude commands, using Normal Scale (as different from regular scale tool) to change all the polys at once as needed.

Using this method you can avoid having to use a step effector, and also any mesh intersection.

1173172560_Propertopology.thumb.gif.5aeb2559125f53cc75e6e6db411b0867.gif

Doing that, in conjunction with @bezo's suggestions, and also turning off Edge Breaks in the Phong tag will all play a part in eradicating your material problem...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, bezo said:

or in case you use internal shaders only (no bitmaps), you could use UVW mapping but UV´s in this case must be enormously enlarged....

spherical_vs_UVW_UV_enlarged.thumb.png.d76d732b1ccc25fcb56a6df1bb3f16ac.png

Thank you.