Sign in to follow this  
FrenchBaguette

Knife Tool Breaks Rig

Hey there,

I've been modeling with an FMR rig and have run into this problem multiple times. Before I edit the rig (intrude/extrude), the body parts of the rig function properly. The same is true when I extrude or intrude parts of the arms or legs. As soon as I use the knife tool, however, the mesh stops following the joints and controllers. The joints still move properly but the arm stays in place. How can I stop this from happening?

Thanks.

If you have rigged character (binded mesh and joints together), skin deformer set to each point of mesh how much is influenced this point with joint. With editing mesh/character you add new point/s which are not influenced by any joint. (also indexes of points are changed)

This is why mesh not follow joints.

Whole process has strict rules, first stage modeling/texturing mesh/character and then rigging. Breaking the rules leads to this kind of problems...

What bezo said. If you have to break the mentioned order you could try transferring the weights from before the edit to the mesh after the edit using VAMP. It's at least worth a try but don't be surprised if the weights need manual fixing. 

Also note that any change in point order such as that caused by adding or removing any points will also break any UV map and materials that rely on them. The only way around that is to do the UV mapping again afterwards, which is rarely ideal, so I will be the 3rd voice here hopefully hammering home the importance of correct Order of operation in DCC apps.

CBR