Sign in to follow this  
Juls

Collide multiple hair systems of one object

Hi, everyone!

I have a very small experience in C4D hairs, so maybe lost the basics. But I tried a lot and didn't catch any solution. Please, help!

A have an animated object which have 2 polygon selections I use for different hairs. And I just can't make this 2 hair types not to penetrate into each other.

Hi

Each hair objects dynamics or collisions only respond to either mesh the collider tag is applied to or its own guides.  Penetration is a issue with C4D as the hair itself is not normalized as to not collide each each other only the guides to a mesh surface is.  There is a option for hair to hair collisions for dynamics but its so slow its pointless having, and it only responds to hair within its own hair object.  Its for this reason I apply a colour to each hair object from the basic tab so I can see where hair from one object to another intersects.  Frizz helps a great deal also but If your want to get very slick hair without such issues its going down the plugin route, Ornatrix.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Hi

Each hair objects dynamics or collisions only respond to either mesh the collider tag is applied to or its own guides.  Penetration is a issue with C4D as the hair itself is not normalized as to not collide each each other only the guides to a mesh surface is.  There is a option for hair to hair collisions for dynamics but its so slow its pointless having, and it only responds to hair within its own hair object.  Its for this reason I apply a colour to each hair object from the basic tab so I can see where hair from one object to another intersects.  Frizz helps a great deal also but If your want to get very slick hair without such issues its going down the plugin route, Ornatrix.

Dan

Oh, thank you for your reply, Dan!

I tried many things during the last days including "hair to hair" (I have not so many hairs, so it doesn't take too long to calculate). But for me it works only inside one particular hair obj. Thank you for make me realize that problem is not with me). I'll try to look into Ornatrix

14 hours ago, Juls said:

Oh, thank you for your reply, Dan!

I tried many things during the last days including "hair to hair" (I have not so many hairs, so it doesn't take too long to calculate). But for me it works only inside one particular hair obj. Thank you for make me realize that problem is not with me). I'll try to look into Ornatrix

Just to note that even with Ornatrix you still cant add two hair objects and expect them to interact with collisions or dynamics, its just Ornatrix offers more options to deal with stand groups, and Vertex channels to treat certain areas of hair separate.  The Strand groups are like selection sets, but Channels are strand or vertex selections that contain value data in which can be used to how other operations are applied such as clump, or frizz.  The Strand group will define certain full strands to be effected, while the vertex option will allow you to paint with the Brush tool the amount hair is effected. 

In practice this means you could clump, frizz, curl only selected portions of hair, then further define where on that strand the amount is applied.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • On 4/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, Rectro said:

Just to note that even with Ornatrix you still cant add two hair objects and expect them to interact with collisions or dynamics, its just Ornatrix offers more options to deal with stand groups, and Vertex channels to treat certain areas of hair separate.  The Strand groups are like selection sets, but Channels are strand or vertex selections that contain value data in which can be used to how other operations are applied such as clump, or frizz.  The Strand group will define certain full strands to be effected, while the vertex option will allow you to paint with the Brush tool the amount hair is effected. 

In practice this means you could clump, frizz, curl only selected portions of hair, then further define where on that strand the amount is applied.

Dan

So, there's no way to do this with plain standard options and "expect them to interact with collisions or dynamics". I can add smth like Frizz animation for particular time segments to avoid intersection with the other hair selection set, right?. Much better! But this won't give me any collisions. 

Maybe, there's another way and you can guide me to the right direction? What if ..to try something like duplicate and hide collider object (let's call it Head) and split set  selections between the heads. Therefore, I'll have 2 heads with different hairs (selection sets). And then these hairs of different objects may interract with dynamics...? I tried to make a test, but stucked because I still have to deal with a hair collider (of copied head) for the "second" hair and somehow make the other "first" hair (of main head) be a collider for the "second"

I think we may need to go back to what your visual expectations are, some screenshots or videos of your target outcome?

Dan