Money hungry or is there a another reason?

I purchased Redshift in Feb 2019. I like it a lot but with all that's been going on forgot about extending my maintenance which came due Feb 14, 2020. I visited the sight to see how many versions behind I was and what was in the new versions. I thought I'd check to see how much it would cast to extend my maintenance plan and its half the price of buying it outright. What gets me is that if I extend my maintenance now, it starts from Feb 14, 2020 even though I haven't used any maintenance between Feb 14 until now, so what the heck am I paying for? So if I wait and renew in August, my next renewal date is still Feb 14, 2021. This is just money grabbing to me. I guess I'll do my best to refrain from giving this company any more of my money. Am I missing something here? Why would I pay for months that I couldn't even get the latest version. Screw'em

Before all the RS fanboys chime in with outrage at your daring to speak against their favorite render engine, I want to say that I agree with you. Fundamentally what RS has managed to do is create a system which is comprised of the worst of both subscription and purchase worlds. In effect what they manage to do is punish loyalty from their user base rather than reward it. 

There are better and smarter ways to handle upgrades that are fair to both parties and incentivize the customer base.

After two years (and $750), I have stopped renewing my "maintenance plan" with RS due to my inability to use it in OSX. The promised Metal upgrade which originally was hinted at arriving by late 2019, then announced to be arriving by the 1st Quarter of 2020, now looks like it's still many months off. At this rate, by the time there is a stable and usable version of RS for Metal I might as well purchase a brand new license from scratch since the cost will be the same.

I will jump in here and answer.  This was the same when MAXON offered Maintenance and the same from the beginning of the RS Maintenance system.  It is meant to be continuous not on and off.   (On off is a benefit of Subscriptions) So you can turn it back on which is a benefit MAXON didn't allow in their maintenance plan but it has to be continuous.  This is all clearly called out in the Redshift terms and is aligned with Maintenance contracts from other companies.

Cheers

Dave

There should be no reason for MAXON or Redshift to charge for the months not used. They did absolutely NOTHING during these months that I should pay for. But the way it is set up if my maintenance ends in Feb 2020 and I decided to renew in Jan 2021, it means I pay for a month of service because in Feb 2021 I have to pay again. Instead it should go from renewal date forward. I don't care if it was clearly spelled out in the licensing. Its a sham!!!! Shame on these companies! And subscriptions aren't the answer. If I want to use Redshift just one day this month, I have to pay for 30 days, which means I'm still filling your wallet for nothing. No thanks

• Silver Contributor

I like the Insydium maintenance approach where there's a 12 month reactivation period at the same price as when maintenance is still active. Then after that there is another 12 months 'last chance' period at a higher fee to renew. If the maintenance is not renewed in either of those periods you then would have to pay full amount. If the customer chooses to renew during one of the reactivation periods, it renews from the end date of when the last maintenance expired.

5 hours ago, DMcGavran said:

This was the same when MAXON offered Maintenance and the same from the beginning of the RS Maintenance system.  It is meant to be continuous not on and off.

Ok, but just because RS has the same business model as MAXON doesn't necessarily mean that it's a particularly great business model. 

You guys should consider an Upgrade path for users whose "maintenance" plan has lapsed that doesn't cost as much as a brand new purchase.

That is disappointing and it would be nice if the whole world was a fair and as customer-centric as Insydium relative to the handling of maintenance licenses (for me, Insydium is one of the top 3 reasons why I love C4D).

But I have to ask then why you just don't wait a year and buy a whole new license if you are that upset about losing 2 months.  Two years of maintenance or buy a new license every other year?  It is all pretty much the same cost. 

I agree that you just can't turn on and then turn off maintenance plans.  That is not how they are designed to work and this should not be a surprise to you.  You could not do that with the C4D MSA as that was ONLY renewable if you had the latest version...which means you could not turn it off and then expect to turn it on again long after it expired.  Once MAXON launched the next version you are out of luck.  If RS only back-dates your subscription start date but still lets you get the newest version at the maintenance price when you renew late, that is actually a better deal (MAXON would make you buy a whole new version of C4D in that same situation).

I would still go with an RS maintenance plan over a subscription plan.  Getting RS via subscription would add $22/month to the C4D subscription plan or an extra $264 a year.  For only $36 more, you get a permanent license.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Dave

@3D-Pangel, I will not go to any subscription plan. As for C4D, R21 may be my last depending what MAXON does. As for Redshift, I'll use my current Redshift render for 2, 3, or 4 years and only buy a new one when its the last time they'll sell a permanent license or I really need a new feature.

I just updated my maintenance for Substance Painter and Designer. Both expired in 2018 for my Indie licenses. My maintenance renewal allowed me to download the latest version of each and lasts until Apr 10, 2021. So I didn't have to pay for more than a year of maintenance that was never used. Of course I couldn't download any version that wasn't available before my maintenance expiration either. In my opinion, that is the way it should be. And they are permanent versions.

I am just curious why Insydium has huge discounts because of COVID or because of NAB but MAXON is always top dollar. They would not have lost me as another money source if they had had similar discounts.

• Silver Contributor
45 minutes ago, teknow said:

I am just curious why Insydium has huge discounts because of COVID or because of NAB but MAXON is always top dollar. They would not have lost me as another money source if they had had similar discounts.

Insydium do discounts pretty frequently. They're opening up access to their maintenance training for 2 weeks on each of the lessons because of covid.

MAXON currently giving 1 month free access to Ciniversity for all users because of the covid too.