Sign in to follow this  
jnclrnx

Making car do a looping gone bad :(

Hello all! 

I'm a student in graphic design and I'm trying to animate a car to do a looping by following a spline. I tried different techniques but I can't make it look believable, let alone decent. I would really appreciate it if anybody here could help me out. I'm very happy I made it so far in creating this scene and colours/lighthing that I would find it awesome if the animation would work properly. 

Thanks in advance! Stay safe.

Jan 

LOOPING RACE TRACK.c4d

At the moment you don't have any control of your rail spline, and the order of things in the hierarchy is wrong.

So first you need to position both path and rail spline somewhere ABOVE the car and its align to spline tag in the Object Manager, so that the spline exists in the scene by the time the tag reads it ! (Cinema scans the OM downwards from top and left to right along the tags) Then you will need to alter individual points on the rail spline as it navigates the curves to make the car bank precisely in the directions it needs to. This will require individual attention to every point on that spline and probably also the path spline.

Lastly you are going to run into difficulties because really that track is too tight a curve for that size of car - it would ground itself in reality as it goes up the first climb, so it will be very difficult to make that look real when it couldn't be real even in the real world !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

At the moment you don't have any control of your rail spline, and the order of things in the hierarchy is wrong.

So first you need to position both path and rail spline somewhere ABOVE the car and its align to spline tag in the Object Manager, so that the spline exists in the scene by the time the tag reads it ! (Cinema scans the OM downwards from top and left to right along the tags) Then you will need to alter individual points on the rail spline as it navigates the curves to make the car bank precisely in the directions it needs to. This will require individual attention to every point on that spline and probably also the path spline.

Lastly you are going to run into difficulties because really that track is too tight a curve for that size of car - it would ground itself in reality as it goes up the first climb, so it will be very difficult to make that look real when it couldn't be real even in the real world !

CBR

Thanks Cerbera for helping me out!

Is there a faster way to make the car bank correct? Adjusting each point individually looks like a very long task?

and how can I control my rail spline?

Thanks a lot already!

Jan

4 hours ago, jnclrnx said:

Is there a faster way to make the car bank correct? Adjusting each point individually looks like a very long task?

No. But it shouldn't take too long - depends how many points you put in your splines...

4 hours ago, jnclrnx said:

and how can I control my rail spline?

Just like you would any other spline - by moving the points about (relative to the path spline in this case).

There are lots of tutorials about rail splines on Youtube and info in the manual if you are not sure how they work.

It's the 3rd thing I mentioned though that is going to cause you most issue until you either make the car smaller or make the track less tightly curved / bigger.

CBR

There's a dynamic car doing loop the loop at 58 secs in this video

and he jumps through the loop 😀

not the answer you want, but might amuse you.