CApruzzese

Blender 2.8 test and impressions

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, teknow said:

Here is my experience so far. I have only been using Blender for about 2 months now but I am starting to feel empowered. I am absolutely in shock that this amazing software is FREE! It is so powerful with 2.83a. I much prefer UV unwrapping, texture painting, sculpting, and modeling in Blender. I have yet to study animation and several other big areas.

Animation Nodes are SO wonderful. With them you can do anything that MoGraph does and that is a huge relief. I just finished recreating all the MoGraph effectors starting with the Formula Effector, and Cloner and Matrix object are a slam dunk. Animation Nodes are just like Xpresso and having really gotten into that in the past I think has made Animation Node study easy for me. The tutorial series by Blue Fox Creation is superb for learning animation nodes.

I  have done the donut tutorial series and highly recommend it but I am currently half way through this series and prefer it.

I am really enjoying Blender! I am at R19 with C4D and will never upgrade again. It is too expensive. What keeps me using C4D occasionally is X-Particles and I go nuts over it. I just redid my Maintenance Agreement and it only cost me $217 with the COVID discount.

Also the future of Blender is so exciting. They are taking off like a rocket and this is a great time to get on board. The 2.83 release is marvelous. They have just gotten some deep pockets funding, soon they will release a new particle system, and the list of near future amazing features and releases for this free software is so exciting.

I wonder how much money total I have given MAXON since R6 when I came on board?

So, for me, my primary software is now Blender and I will use C4D only for those marvelous X-Particles animations.

I noticed Icecaveman and Mabad and others have also jumped ship and that is a good sign.

Animation nodes will be on my list of things to learn. I use Mograph quite a bit so I'll need to replace some of that functionality. I started 3D with something called Turbo Silver pro on the amiga in the 80s, then went to Lightwave and finally to C4D. I have a feeling I'll be missing programs to do things more and more as I get better in blender.. X particles is hard to beat and I love cactus dan's rigging tools. 

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

Good luck. That sounds like a good plan. The plugins for Blender are cheaper than most for C4D. Blender is a very adequate program these days. I was in the same boat as you. I also used Quark, InDesign, and Affinity Publisher (and Pagemaker, Ventura Publisher, Flare, and Framemaker). But I'm one step behind you and moved one of my books to LaTeX. Free is good.

I am using Affinity Publisher almost exclusively now. A client uses a 12 year version of Quark and insists I use that - please kill me. I started with an amiga program called "Pagestream" in the 80s which I think they still make somehow! 

Ah, the old Amiga days. Still lamenting the demise of her.

I created my first 'professionally printed' DTP work in Pagestream. The first 'proper' 3d app I used was Sculpt 3d (later Sculpt/Animate 4d - Cinema '4d' is not as original as you would think 😜 ). Later Imagine, Lightwave, and Cinema4d on the Amiga. I also recall dabbling in Turbo Silver Pro!

But I first started working with 3d wire renders of objects on an Amstrad CPC664. How far we've come...

I would love to use Affinity Publisher, but the Affinity range of products do not support 1bit images, which I require for my work.

PS the Juggler animation is what REALLY got me interested in 3D animation. I was gobsmacked by the quality! The first time I watched it, I kept it on for an hour, or so. That glass ball sound effect still haunts me today! 🙂

Something

16 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

PS the Juggler animation is what REALLY got me interested in 3D animation. I was gobsmacked by the quality! The first time I watched it, I kept it on for an hour, or so. That glass ball sound effect still haunts me today! 🙂

Something about these 80s / 90s 3D-animations is just haunting to me. They way everything looks and moves and sounds just... gives me the creeps.

That said: Them raytraced reflections at 03:06 though!

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Something

Something about these 80s / 90s 3D-animations is just haunting to me. They way everything looks and moves and sounds just... gives me the creeps.

That said: Them raytraced reflections at 03:06 though!

I have to agree.... there is something creepy about them and to think at the time we thought they were so cool and real looking! 

2 minutes ago, CApruzzese said:

I have to agree.... there is something creepy about them and to think at the time we thought they were so cool and real looking! 

Many intros of games I have played in my youth are the worst offenders in this. They look mostly good / very good for the time. But they're just... creepy.

Two examples:

Maybe it's just me because I saw these as a kid, but I'm not sure.

This guys work in Blender blows me away:

That is a great example of how the artists skill is more important than the program they pick. It does show how far Blender has come as well.

Resurrecting this topic, since I've return to Blender for my personal experiments/character animation..
    Has anyone managed to adapt to Blender's Dope Sheet/Graph Editor during animation?
    I find it extremely clumky... cant select an object by name on dope sheet and automatically select its keyframes....  
    it has a very weird behaviour. In c4d, the animation process just flows nicely...

Has anyone struggled with that also?