Jump to content
CApruzzese

Blender 2.8 test and impressions

Recommended Posts

Blender is a good software but we have 2 blender users in the team and we will likely all swap to cinema mostly. blender is still free and you can always do something you cant do in cinema if you need.

 

The biggest drawback in cinema for us is the lack of Multi UV editing and relying on a script for face weighted normals and such things (and bad booleans)

 

Working with a modeller on Blender who has always used it, I noticed that it also has a lot of downsides like cinema or any software.
Some things you think are given in cinema seem like a godsend in blender. If you want to use a cylinder in blender, then change the amount of sides - you do that once, then its editable when you move it once. You cant stay with primitives and just change their size later without making them editable.

Things like arrays are not easily done. These are things where I think "***" - but it also has a lot of upsides clearly. It does feel as if some things are just not possible to do in cinema, but in the last years the gap has closed noticeably and cinema has really gained its own big advantages.

 

So is the other side of the grass greener? Id say definitely no.

Its up and downs. Volume builder and fields are a game changer on cinema for us. Cinema has a great hierarchy and makes it easy to change things down the road. Non destructive workflows are really second only to Houdini I would say. Also the cinema UI is the best, making it very easy for me 
to make a easy to use workspace for the team getting everyone on track fast, while Blender has the worst usability of all 3D apps still, which is the mayor drawback of it. If only cinema had a little more care for realtime. Realtime clearly is the future, and game dev is a big market.

If anyone from C4D is reading this, give us multi UV, split phong by UV islands, face weighted normals workflow options and cinema could be amazing for gamedev and any realtime art.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Shrike said:

Blender is a good software but we have 2 blender users in the team and we will likely all swap to cinema mostly. blender is still free and you can always do something you cant do in cinema if you need.

 

The biggest drawback in cinema for us is the lack of Multi UV editing and relying on a script for face weighted normals and such things (and bad booleans)

 

Working with a modeller on Blender who has always used it, I noticed that it also has a lot of downsides like cinema or any software.
Some things you think are given in cinema seem like a godsend in blender. If you want to use a cylinder in blender, then change the amount of sides - you do that once, then its editable when you move it once. You cant stay with primitives and just change their size later without making them editable.

Things like arrays are not easily done. These are things where I think "***" - but it also has a lot of upsides clearly. It does feel as if some things are just not possible to do in cinema, but in the last years the gap has closed noticeably and cinema has really gained its own big advantages.

 

So is the other side of the grass greener? Id say definitely no.

Its up and downs. Volume builder and fields are a game changer on cinema for us. Cinema has a great hierarchy and makes it easy to change things down the road. Non destructive workflows are really second only to Houdini I would say. Also the cinema UI is the best, making it very easy for me 
to make a easy to use workspace for the team getting everyone on track fast, while Blender has the worst usability of all 3D apps still, which is the mayor drawback of it. If only cinema had a little more care for realtime. Realtime clearly is the future, and game dev is a big market.

If anyone from C4D is reading this, give us multi UV, split phong by UV islands, face weighted normals workflow options and cinema could be amazing for gamedev and any realtime art.

Yeah, I dont plan to replace C4D with anything.
I am using blender mostly for some character animation, because I really love the auto-weight, and how it just works... 

But I dont feel that Blender, at least for me, is production ready.
The realtime render is a LOT of fun, and characters and sculpting too, but yeah...  not there yet

 

Share this post


Link to post

Another adventurous Blender user here! 😄 Been playing with it for a few weeks now. And now I'm even using it for a paid project, using Eevee to render an animation that would otherwise take ages even with Octane... You know, it's really really tough to learn a new 3D sofware after 25(!) years with Cinema 4D! But for some strange reason I actually enjoy it... It's so different from Cinema that it's like starting from scratch (all the background knowledge helps of course, I learn much faster than a true beginner). Brings me back to how it all started for me. The noob fase! Constantly hitting brick walls but not giving up and googling and youtubing (well not back in those days haha, I actually had to read the manual) until you find the solution (or a workaround) and you just keep going. I kinda stagnated as an artist for years but now I'm forced to learn how to use nodes properly and make nice materials, it's about time. 😉 I relied on Cinema's "easy mode" for too long. And making pretty stuff with Eevee effortlessly is tons of fun. Well I hope I'll still be able to afford Cinema in the future when I need it but since I don't want to be that dependent on whatever silly pricing MAXON comes up with next I'll put my bets on something that'll always be free, including 2 awesome free render engines, fluid sim, particles, smoke etc etc (and don't forget the very active community)... For me it's worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Janine Pauke said:

Another adventurous Blender user here! 😄 Been playing with it for a few weeks now. And now I'm even using it for a paid project, using Eevee to render an animation that would otherwise take ages even with Octane... You know, it's really really tough to learn a new 3D sofware after 25(!) years with Cinema 4D! But for some strange reason I actually enjoy it... It's so different from Cinema that it's like starting from scratch (all the background knowledge helps of course, I learn much faster than a true beginner). Brings me back to how it all started for me. The noob fase! Constantly hitting brick walls but not giving up and googling and youtubing (well not back in those days haha, I actually had to read the manual) until you find the solution (or a workaround) and you just keep going. I kinda stagnated as an artist for years but now I'm forced to learn how to use nodes properly and make nice materials, it's about time. 😉 I relied on Cinema's "easy mode" for too long. And making pretty stuff with Eevee effortlessly is tons of fun. Well I hope I'll still be able to afford Cinema in the future when I need it but since I don't want to be that dependent on whatever silly pricing MAXON comes up with next I'll put my bets on something that'll always be free, including 2 awesome free render engines, fluid sim, particles, smoke etc etc (and don't forget the very active community)... For me it's worth it.

I think that is the best approach to have Janine 🙂  And I hope you only continue to learn even more about the software.
For me, as an artist, I love to have options. I have 18 years of experience with C4D, so a lot of the experiments I wanna make, it becomes natural, I can think directly about the result I want, and the steps I make are almost instant, since I know the software very well.  
The pricing thing is becoming a nightmare unfortunately. I am a subscriber, but I think it is extremely unfair to people who has perpetual license, to keep them from using the latest version and updates the software has to offer... 

Some of the things from Blender keeps me from using it fully though, like I mentioned before, its dope sheet and graph editor, for me at least, is a nightmare. I love making loops, walk cycles and easy repetitions, and with C4D, one click and you can set up a whole chain of objects to repeat, which is impossible in Blender 😞

I love the competition though, I think it will push more and more the paid softwares to observe things that works really well in Blender, like Eevee and the character animation setup. For now, C4D will stay as my commercial software of choice.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, FLima said:

I think that is the best approach to have Janine 🙂  And I hope you only continue to learn even more about the software.
For me, as an artist, I love to have options. I have 18 years of experience with C4D, so a lot of the experiments I wanna make, it becomes natural, I can think directly about the result I want, and the steps I make are almost instant, since I know the software very well.  
The pricing thing is becoming a nightmare unfortunately. I am a subscriber, but I think it is extremely unfair to people who has perpetual license, to keep them from using the latest version and updates the software has to offer... 

Some of the things from Blender keeps me from using it fully though, like I mentioned before, its dope sheet and graph editor, for me at least, is a nightmare. I love making loops, walk cycles and easy repetitions, and with C4D, one click and you can set up a whole chain of objects to repeat, which is impossible in Blender 😞

I love the competition though, I think it will push more and more the paid softwares to observe things that works really well in Blender, like Eevee and the character animation setup. For now, C4D will stay as my commercial software of choice.

 

Yeah so far I've only animated simple stuff, and I'm not a character animator so I hope it won't be quite as painful for me. 😉  

Indeed I think competition is good for innovation, I also think it's great that so many new people are picking up 3d, no matter what software. I like teaching so that's good for me. 🙂 I hope people at MAXON are watching closely, there's a lot of opportunities currently for companies to show they care, throw your customers a bone... I'm a fan of paying it forward, that's something that MAXON should really think about instead of screwing over their most loyal customers... It'll pay off in the end. I know there's good people working there, I'm sure they do care. They're just not allowed to post their true opinions on the forum. 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Btw I have no idea why I keep typing MAXON in all caps.... very strange! 🤔 Edit: the forum does that automatically lol! Thought I was going mad!

Edited by Janine Pauke
not going mad

Share this post


Link to post

It's interesting to hear your opinion on this Janine : )
Re Blender:  The one thing that has deterred me from learning it is the 'undo situation'. From what I've read undo can be a real issue if you're dealing with big files - lots of polys / objects - which is typically my situation. I'm not sure if this is a 'fundamental / architecture' type issue that will not be solved - at least in the mid term, or not. Any thoughts on that?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MikeA said:

It's interesting to hear your opinion on this Janine : )
Re Blender:  The one thing that has deterred me from learning it is the 'undo situation'. From what I've read undo can be a real issue if you're dealing with big files - lots of polys / objects - which is typically my situation. I'm not sure if this is a 'fundamental / architecture' type issue that will not be solved - at least in the mid term, or not. Any thoughts on that?

 

As far as I have heard, the undo situation is known and is currently being addressed.

 

Also, isn't the "Everything nodes" project going to change the animation fundamentally anyway? So, maybe we can just wait for Blender 2.90 to deliver. (Disclaimer: I haven't used any of the recent alphas and am just starting in Blender anyway 🐱 )

Share this post


Link to post

I like Blender. I also used it casually even before 2.8+
What I don't like it is its rigging implementation. 
It's too rigid. Hope they get rid of that "Edit Bones" and "Pose Bones" modes. 

They also don't have a real-time python compiler or something. (C4D equivalent is Python Tag or Python Node). 
It will be implemented using animation nodes but its not yet for production use. 

So far, I can take risk on Modelling, Shading and Rendering in Blender but I can't for Rigging.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted
    5 minutes ago, bentraje said:

    I like Blender. I also used it casually even before 2.8+
    What I don't like it is its rigging implementation. 
    It's too rigid. Hope they get rid of that "Edit Bones" and "Pose Bones" modes. 

    They also don't have a real-time python compiler or something. (C4D equivalent is Python Tag or Python Node). 
    It will be implemented using animation nodes but its not yet for production use. 

    So far, I can take risk on Modelling, Shading and Rendering in Blender but I can't for Rigging.

     

    Character rigging is a bit of  mess I've found. They are moving fast with its of changes so I think even in another 6 months it might be very different. As behind as C4D is with some rigging and character stuff, it's fairly easy to  set up and with plugins even easier. 

    Share this post


    Link to post

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...

    FORUMS INFO:

    Dear members, we are aware of few more bugs that are still present withing the theme.We just wanted to let you know that we are working to fix them as soon as possible.
     

    NEW MEMBERS:

    Please be aware that we are manually approving all new registrations, due to spam prevention. Please be patient in case you cannot login right away, we will approve you within 12h or less if we decide you are not potential spammer. 

     

    Thanks for understanding! :cowboypistol: