CApruzzese

Blender 2.8 test and impressions

I like Blender a lot more than C4D for everything, but Mograph and Xparticles.  If there is something in Blender that I find hard I find out later I tried to do it wrong.  Got to think more Blender and it ends up being easier than in C4D.

There is nothing in Blender that drives me up a wall like in C4D.  The things that drove me crazy in C4D were lack of multiple UV maps for light mapping, the timeline literally taking seconds to simply scroll or zoom in and out in some cases (now fixed in S22), subscription which I will never pay for, getting something finished then working just as hard to export it because of C4D sucky exports, slow as tar character animation, endless list of stuff in object manager, Blender you click on what you want rarely going to a list, rendering in C4D taking forever for decent results with any of the built in render engines, bunch of tools in C4D like bool which still only use a single core, I'm not sure bool uses multi core in Blender but its fast, making drawing on a character in C4D super hard to set up if not using the magic set up, no decent way to retopo a sculpt, no dynamesh so sculpting could be done decently, C4D material nodes being super laggy, I could go on and on here.

In Blender I don't have any of those problems.  *mic drop*

*Creeps back and stage and picks up mic again* Now to help out others.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, CApruzzese said:

Cycles is pretty slow! I'll be using C4D and my 80+ plugins for it in the near future for most things but there is potential with Blender.

You need a good video card.  What kind of hardware and OS are you running?

On 5/7/2020 at 7:42 AM, FLima said:

Resurrecting this topic, since I've return to Blender for my personal experiments/character animation..
Has anyone managed to adapt to Blender's Dope Sheet/Graph Editor during animation?
I find it extremely clumky... cant select an object by name on dope sheet and automatically select its keyframes....  
it has a very weird behaviour. In c4d, the animation process just flows nicely...

Has anyone struggled with that also? 

Click on the object or objects in viewport and all the keys appear in the graph.  I find it much easier than scrolling though a bunch of names in C4D.  Thinking of scrolling through all those names in C4D is giving me some post traumatic stress.

23 hours ago, Shrike said:

Working with a modeller on Blender who has always used it, I noticed that it also has a lot of downsides like cinema or any software.

Some things you think are given in cinema seem like a godsend in blender. If you want to use a cylinder in blender, then change the amount of sides - you do that once, then its editable when you move it once. You cant stay with primitives and just change their size later without making them editable.

If you want to keep the primatives primatives  Wonder Mesh.  I hear something like this is going to built into Blender in a future build, but for now the plugin looks pretty good.

How long does it take using Blender before you develop a paralysis in the muscles on the left side of your neck and your head drops down involuntarily to one side, and an inane sickly smile spreads across your face and you have the uncontrollable urge to go up to everyone you meet and say " You need to bring our Lord Blender into your life " ?..and is there any danger you will develop an insatiable craving to load a copy of Bryce up ?

What I would like o know from the Blender users: if you totally ignore costs - where does Blender beat C4D - and vice versa?
What would be your top 5 things where Blender beats Cinema, and what would be your top 5 things where Cinema beats Blender?

Posted (edited)

Rendering

Viewport/Eevee

Sculpt

Modelling

UV's Materials

Added:Grease Pencil

Mograph

Matchmoving

Exporting to CAD formats

VDB (Volumes)

Fields?

Edited by Pinin
Added: Greease Pencil to Blender as reminded by Frokito

7 hours ago, MikeA said:

What I would like o know from the Blender users: if you totally ignore costs - where does Blender beat C4D - and vice versa?
What would be your top 5 things where Blender beats Cinema, and what would be your top 5 things where Cinema beats Blender?

Blender beats Cinema so much so it's hard to pick top 5, but here it is:

- Cycles/Eevee

- All files import and export waaaaaaay better.  My jaw dropped the first time I imported a fbx in Blender and it had all the materials and quads.  I didn't think that was possible working with the fbx importer of C4D.

- Snapping tool functions right

- Everything character animation.  From the NLA, rigging, to the speed it's all better.

- The community.  There are so many in the community because it's free.  If it's not built in someone made a low cost or free plugin.  People are super willing to help.

Cinema beats Blender

- Mograph

- Xparticles

- Easier to find tools if you are a noob.  If I didn't start with C4D I would never be able to know what to search for in Blender.  Blender has a lot of hidden functions that I would never know to search for if I didn't know it should exist.  After learning how to access the tool I learn not only does Blender have it, but it's better in Blender.

- Nicer looking interface

- My years of experience already using C4D.  This makes me very good with C4D.  It made the choice of switching hard.  Now I'm using Blender it seems like someone turned on easy mode.

I would also add greace pencil tool in Blender.

20 hours ago, Fastbee said:

Blender beats Cinema so much so it's hard to pick top 5, but here it is:

- Cycles/Eevee

- All files import and export waaaaaaay better.  My jaw dropped the first time I imported a fbx in Blender and it had all the materials and quads.  I didn't think that was possible working with the fbx importer of C4D.

- Snapping tool functions right

- Everything character animation.  From the NLA, rigging, to the speed it's all better.

- The community.  There are so many in the community because it's free.  If it's not built in someone made a low cost or free plugin.  People are super willing to help.

Cinema beats Blender

- Mograph

- Xparticles

- Easier to find tools if you are a noob.  If I didn't start with C4D I would never be able to know what to search for in Blender.  Blender has a lot of hidden functions that I would never know to search for if I didn't know it should exist.  After learning how to access the tool I learn not only does Blender have it, but it's better in Blender.

- Nicer looking interface

- My years of experience already using C4D.  This makes me very good with C4D.  It made the choice of switching hard.  Now I'm using Blender it seems like someone turned on easy mode.

Soooo..........based on the fact that C4D's interface is so much easier to use,  logically consistent, and well designed would it be fair to draw the following conclusion from your experience:  A good path for the newbie is to start with C4D's subscription program, learn the basics and mechanics of 3D using C4D, and then armed with that knowledge switch over to Blender where they get better features at a cheaper price?

Sooooo.....MAXON's subscription program has actually made it cheaper and easier for newbies to be successful with Blender?

Wow...I never would have seen that coming. 😀

Dave

On 5/8/2020 at 2:51 PM, Fastbee said:

Click on the object or objects in viewport and all the keys appear in the graph.  I find it much easier than scrolling though a bunch of names in C4D.  Thinking of scrolling through all those names in C4D is giving me some post traumatic stress.

I hear ya.. but you can simply click on the objects in the C4D viewport and automatically see its keyframes too. 
This is okay when you have a very pre-defined and big things to select, but when you have little eyebrown or several small elements, and you want to edit all its keyframes as fast as possible, you need to be able to select it just by name, like you can do it in C4D... it makes no sense why it has to be this complicated in Blender. 

Also when you want to add a loop to certain keyframes, you need to select individually on which item you want to add the modifier "cycle" for instance... axis X of foot controller. then Y axis of foot controller..     
You cant just select a whole group of things and set "repeat forever/oscilate" and be done with it.

There is awesome things on Blender, I actually like rigging on it more than C4D, and the auto weight, just WORKS! 
In C4D , it is always a gamble..  I try so many different auto-weight settings, and C4D never gets it right on the first time...  Im now using mixamo to set bones and skins on my characters since C4D cant do it properly... 
And I think Blender has a very bright future ahead.. but yeah, animation, is not good 😞
A lot can be done by experienced users for sure, but after you use C4D, and see how straightfoward it is, it is difficult to adapt.

4 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Soooo..........based on the fact that C4D's interface is so much easier to use,  logically consistent, and well designed would it be fair to draw the following conclusion from your experience:  A good path for the newbie is to start with C4D's subscription program, learn the basics and mechanics of 3D using C4D, and then armed with that knowledge switch over to Blender where they get better features at a cheaper price?

Sooooo.....MAXON's subscription program has actually made it cheaper and easier for newbies to be successful with Blender?

Dave

He is just talking that with experience you know better what to search for.

7 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Dave

I'd suggest someone start with C4D with a free educational version, so it doesn't cost them anything, then switch to Blender when that runs out, so they don't have to pay anything.

7 hours ago, FLima said:

I hear ya.. but you can simply click on the objects in the C4D viewport and automatically see its keyframes too. 
This is okay when you have a very pre-defined and big things to select, but when you have little eyebrown or several small elements, and you want to edit all its keyframes as fast as possible, you need to be able to select it just by name, like you can do it in C4D... it makes no sense why it has to be this complicated in Blender. 

Also when you want to add a loop to certain keyframes, you need to select individually on which item you want to add the modifier "cycle" for instance... axis X of foot controller. then Y axis of foot controller..     
You cant just select a whole group of things and set "repeat forever/oscilate" and be done with it.

There is awesome things on Blender, I actually like rigging on it more than C4D, and the auto weight, just WORKS! 
In C4D , it is always a gamble..  I try so many different auto-weight settings, and C4D never gets it right on the first time...  Im now using mixamo to set bones and skins on my characters since C4D cant do it properly... 
And I think Blender has a very bright future ahead.. but yeah, animation, is not good 😞
A lot can be done by experienced users for sure, but after you use C4D, and see how straightfoward it is, it is difficult to adapt.

For selecting things easier you could use the Picker Panel in Auto Rig Pro or Skin Selection.  Whichever you like better.

If you are in the graph editor in Blender objects can be selected, then select all the keys in the graph, now go to Key > Add F-Curve Modifier > Cycles or whatever you like, make sure Only Active is unchecked to apply to all.  I personally don't really like that it is applied to each X, Y individually.  Something like Automatic Walk Cycles  is more my game.  Shift+D can also be used to quickly duplicate frames.  Combined Automatic Walk Cycles with Walker and it's basically C-Motion.  Blender also has the NLA where it's easy to say repeat forever.  I personally never used the C4D "repeat forever/oscilate" in keyframes.  I did think C-motion and the Vibrate tag was pretty cool.

Motiontrail3D looks really nice.  It's like the motion trails in C4D except way more easily changeable.