Sign in to follow this  
CApruzzese

Blender 2.8 test and impressions

5 hours ago, Fastbee said:

I used to come to this site all the time back in the day.  The people here helped me a lot and I have in turn hoped to have helped lots of people.  I guess it is that, plus nostalgia that brings me back, and hope that the next version of C4D will finally be the big one.  With every release though still no big one.  The reason I'm pushing it here is to help others find the wealth down a different path.  One day they will realize they were starving for scraps when they could have been feasting like kings.  All the road blocks that C4D put up for me are gone with Blender.  I'm having more fun with 3D now than I've probably ever had in my life.  I wish others can also find their 3D joy no matter what programs they use.

✌️

I think this is definitely a good take, and I can feel by your excitement that you are indeed enjoying it a lot 🙂
The existence of Blender, by itself, is already a great thing for all of us. Having a complete free software, offering pro level solutions, that competes in a lot of things with paid softwares!

I started with 3DS Max 15 years ago, and switched to C4D thanks to a friend, who helped me achieve the results I wanted, and explained to me a bit of Xpresso and etc. The speed C4D offered things and how amazing I could organize my scene, it was something I could have never imagined before. 

With all this worldwide unfortunate changes, we dont know how will it be for all of us. Maybe I wont be able to afford C4D's subscription anymore (I am already struggling with it...) and the idea that all my files will be locked and I wont have freedom to access them until I pay the again, it is really, really horrible. I understand that this is business, and as a company, they need to survive///but with all this crisis that we are about to experience, maybe it will be a forced change on how companies think, and see us, long time users.

Blender doesnt offer me yet great reasons to switch. For me, animation is still a bad experience 😞 And no light linking, etc... the armature/pose switch, feels like a weird and unnecessary step in between.. but I love that there is at least an option, for all of us, in the worst case scenario... to continue to work and produce awesome results.

A lot of us integrates different softwares to our workflows with C4D. (Zbrush, Painter, Marvelous Designer, etc)
And Blender, for me, is already helping with some of the things, together with C4D (modelling for instance) 
So thanks for posting your videos and blender info/tips. 

On 5/15/2020 at 1:55 AM, Fastbee said:

I used to come to this site all the time back in the day.  The people here helped me a lot and I have in turn hoped to have helped lots of people.  I guess it is that, plus nostalgia that brings me back, and hope that the next version of C4D will finally be the big one.  With every release though still no big one.  The reason I'm pushing it here is to help others find the wealth down a different path.  One day they will realize they were starving for scraps when they could have been feasting like kings.  All the road blocks that C4D put up for me are gone with Blender.  I'm having more fun with 3D now than I've probably ever had in my life.  I wish others can also find their 3D joy no matter what programs they use.

✌️

nostalgia is what brings me back. to see old friends and such. if Cinema had not gone subscription I would have stayed and not jumped to Houdini but "all good things . . . "

Same here, it's a bit like visiting an old friend that you don't really hang out with anymore, but you still care about knowing how they're doing.

Thank you for this, all of it, very informative!  I just started the Blender 2.8 beginner course on Lynda.com and am blown away by it.  I always thought Blender would be some blast from the past compared to C4D but it actually feels more advanced right from the start.  That's my impression.  

I have a specific question and I can't seem to find an answer because there aren't a lot of people out there who specifically do what I do...

How easy/effective is it to achieve photo realism in Blender vs. C4D?  I am a commercial photographer and I exclusively use C4D to augment my photography, so being able to achieve photorealism is paramount to my workflow.  My typical workflow is to camera map my images onto various planes, throw a handmade HDRI (captured on set or on location when the photograph is made) and then add/model various meshes to the scene to render out with GI/AO adding those physically realistic touches that I require. 

Does Blender have the capability to do this, and is it as simple to achieve?  

Cheers!

3 hours ago, hirum said:

Thank you for this, all of it, very informative!  I just started the Blender 2.8 beginner course on Lynda.com and am blown away by it.  I always thought Blender would be some blast from the past compared to C4D but it actually feels more advanced right from the start.  That's my impression.  

I have a specific question and I can't seem to find an answer because there aren't a lot of people out there who specifically do what I do...

How easy/effective is it to achieve photo realism in Blender vs. C4D?  I am a commercial photographer and I exclusively use C4D to augment my photography, so being able to achieve photorealism is paramount to my workflow.  My typical workflow is to camera map my images onto various planes, throw a handmade HDRI (captured on set or on location when the photograph is made) and then add/model various meshes to the scene to render out with GI/AO adding those physically realistic touches that I require. 

Cheers!

https://blenderartists.org/tags/featured

On 5/19/2020 at 12:54 PM, hirum said:

Cheers!

this is a two part tutorial. he offers the materials on his patreon page

On 5/19/2020 at 10:54 AM, hirum said:

Cheers!

Blender ships with an add-on called "Import Images as Planes", which makes it a doddle to import any number of images in one swoop, map them to planes, tell it to offset the planes at a preset distance and the axis, and have them track the camera.  All part of the plugin.

Camera (projection) mapping is also fully supported in Blender.

And, unlike Cinema4D, Blender features a nodal compositor, so it is easy to composite things directly in Blender as well.

Last, but not least, Cycles (Blender's renderer) has really nice GI and overall output quality. It's a modern render engine, and if you have a good GPU it will render your work fast. If you need faster output, e-Cycles is even faster (not free, though).

Hi guys!

My 2 cents on the topic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMfgEuGXkAIr0tj?format=jpg&name=900x900

Besides the jokes, I think Cinema 4D is one of the greatest software that I have used and now is affordable even for my location.

When I open Blender, all the navigation and stuff make me feel I got into LADA car (it is old soviet cars)it can drive you in every place but in the most uncomfortable way,

when I use Maya, I feel like I am driving Alpha Romeo - beautiful but it breaks every 10 km.,

when I use 3Ds Max (my first 3d app) I am feeling I am in a tank - I have 2 handles for everything,

when I use Houdini...well like I am in CERN, I am accelerating particles to make a cube, and I accidentally make a hypertorus packed with monkeys, which are

consumed by the black hole that also accidentally appeared...I end up making the cube with real paper from the garbage in the post apocalypse world that I have created.

when I use Nuke - I am using BMW, cool but too expensive and in the winter you don't go out with it...

and when I use Cinema 4D - I am in a AUDI! Feels good and takes you where you want to go!

The grass is not always greener on the other side!

that meme made me spit out my beer 😂