CApruzzese

Blender 2.8 test and impressions

I have been asking Houdini for camera mapping since moving over.  again, modeling is not their bread and butter but I persist 

19 hours ago, Nio said:

Hi guys!

My 2 cents on the topic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMfgEuGXkAIr0tj?format=jpg&name=900x900

Besides the jokes, I think Cinema 4D is one of the greatest software that I have used and now is affordable even for my location.

When I open Blender, all the navigation and stuff make me feel I got into LADA car (it is old soviet cars)it can drive you in every place but in the most uncomfortable way,

when I use Maya, I feel like I am driving Alpha Romeo - beautiful but it breaks every 10 km.,

when I use 3Ds Max (my first 3d app) I am feeling I am in a tank - I have 2 handles for everything,

when I use Houdini...well like I am in CERN, I am accelerating particles to make a cube, and I accidentally make a hypertorus packed with monkeys, which are

consumed by the black hole that also accidentally appeared...I end up making the cube with real paper from the garbage in the post apocalypse world that I have created.

when I use Nuke - I am using BMW, cool but too expensive and in the winter you don't go out with it...

and when I use Cinema 4D - I am in a AUDI! Feels good and takes you where you want to go!

The grass is not always greener on the other side!

Nice analogies but I think C4D is more like a Toyota C-HR: very practical for day-to-day things, super easy to drive but also considerably stylish. Unfortunately the price is not the best and there is some features lacking...

The latest ProRender 2.4.11 was released a few days ago. Installation in Blender is very simple now, and no longer requires a separate installation - just point Blender at the add-on package.

This version finally works properly with my setup: previous versions refused to work. It actually works quite well so far, and renders nicely on my GTX1080.

Notable changes:

• Installers are now simply zip packages. To install, load the add-on through the Blender add-on preferences menu and point to the zip file. You will need to manually uninstall the old plugin fist here.
  • macOS now supports ML Denoising.
  • Support for Blender 2.83 has been added.
  • Support for reading OpenVDB files via Blender 2.83 “Volume” objects has been added.
  • The RPR 2.0 “experimental” render mode has been added. Currently this is Windows only and only recommended for final rendering. This is a prototype of our next generation renderer. Performance and memory usage should now be improved, especially for complex scenes. Multi-GPU and CPU + GPU performance, particularly when rendering with an AMD CPU + AMD GPU, is dramatically improved. For complex scenes that are larger than video memory size, out-of-core textures and geometry are automatic.
  • Baking nodes. We have added utilities for baking nodes. This is useful with nodes that RPR does not translate natively, such as noise texture nodes. It is also quite useful with complex node networks, as they run faster at render time. There are two options:Select an object and material. In the Shader Editor, select the nodes you wish to bake, and press the “Bake Selected Nodes” button. The nodes will be baked to textures, and texture read nodes will be created;In the render settings, press the “Bake All Unknown Nodes” button. All nodes that RPR does not translate will be baked to textures.Please note that after changing node setups, the nodes will need to be re-baked.
  • There is a new GL_Interop setting under “Viewport Sampling” settings. Users who use external GPUs (eGPUs) for viewport rendering may need to disable this.
  • The speed of export of images for rendering has been increased.

37 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

For some reason all these images still look fake as all hell. I don't know what it is about ProRender, but I haven't seen a single Artwork yet that doesn't have this high gloss super fake early 2000s CGI look.

It's a shame. But sure, great to have an alternative as Blender User that is also free.

16 hours ago, bobc4d said:

I have been asking Houdini for camera mapping since moving over.  again, modeling is not their bread and butter but I persist 

I thought Camera Mapping in Houdini is quite doable. There is however a severe lack of tutorials on it. Also, check out the brand new SideFX Labs Trim Texture.

Cameras in Houdini can easily be constrained to a path/curve and the object of interest can be specified or just keyframed. I find them easier than in C4D, but I don't really understand camera mapping of a 2d image, if that is what you mean. Blender is the most awkward for camera positioning for me.

C4D excels in being easy to use and logically designed. I don't think there is a better program in that respect. Blender is a quicker modeler, but you have to learn a lot of keystrokes and the only support is through the forums (unlike C4D). Houdini is undoubtedly the most powerful, but it is not a fast non procedural modeler and often you have to think about how you would define what you want to do and then use nodes or code to accomplish that. For some, that seems harder than clicking some button.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:19 AM, Nio said:

Hi guys!

My 2 cents on the topic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMfgEuGXkAIr0tj?format=jpg&name=900x900

Besides the jokes, I think Cinema 4D is one of the greatest software that I have used and now is affordable even for my location.

When I open Blender, all the navigation and stuff make me feel I got into LADA car (it is old soviet cars)it can drive you in every place but in the most uncomfortable way,

when I use Maya, I feel like I am driving Alpha Romeo - beautiful but it breaks every 10 km.,

when I use 3Ds Max (my first 3d app) I am feeling I am in a tank - I have 2 handles for everything,

when I use Houdini...well like I am in CERN, I am accelerating particles to make a cube, and I accidentally make a hypertorus packed with monkeys, which are

consumed by the black hole that also accidentally appeared...I end up making the cube with real paper from the garbage in the post apocalypse world that I have created.

when I use Nuke - I am using BMW, cool but too expensive and in the winter you don't go out with it...

and when I use Cinema 4D - I am in a AUDI! Feels good and takes you where you want to go!

The grass is not always greener on the other side!

To beat a dead horse and your auto narrative,  the issue with C4D now is you only lease your Audi, you stop making payments they repossess it until you start making payments again. 

40 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

To beat a dead horse and your auto narrative,  the issue with C4D now is you only lease your Audi, you stop making payments they repossess it until you start making payments again. 

Or you can buy it to own (at least at the moment you can).

21 hours ago, bobc4d said:

you only lease your Audi

Lots of people feel making monthly car payments is the best way, dont they? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who owns their own car. Although I might consider it if every September the car company replaced it with one that was better and more valuable.

That's hardly a valid comparison. With a leased car, you may no longer be able to drive if you don't pay, but you don't lose all your already-driven distances.

And if you change to a different car, you don't have to get a new driver's license.