Sign in to follow this  
WoopWoop

Export Houdini sim to C4D?

Posted (edited)

Hey yall, 

I have created this particle sim in Houdini and are now looking for ways to export this to Cinema 4D to texture and render there. What options do I have? (file attached)

grain sim.hipnc

Edited by Cerbera
Come on Jen, let's get them in the right place ;)

It looks like a very simple simulation. I personally wouldn't bother exporting to C4D, as you have a better render engine for these sorts of things in Houdini. But unlike C4D, just clicking "render" can be a problem if you haven't set up any light or camera. I would add an environmental light in your scene and then left mouse click the "no cam" in the upper right portion of your viewport and add a camera (it will match your scene view). You can then click "render" without actually creating a mantra node, and it will create the mantra node for you and assign the view to the camera you created.

But if you really want to bring this into C4D, note that Vellum just creates points. Mantra can render points, without polygons, but you will most likely have problems with most 3D programs exporting a point cloud. Instead, you should add a small sphere and a "copy to point" node to make this into some sort of polygon object. if you go to the "OUT" node and right click and select "save" and name it something like "Partsim.obj", you will export an obj file you can import in C4D. There are other exports, like using the menu to save as fbx or adding a "file" node to use as an export. Attached is slightly modified file in Houdini.

grain sim.hipnc

Try a quick render in Houdini of this. I just changed the sphere from polygon to primitive and added a color node set to random.

For what it is worth, the Houdini engine for C4D doesn't seem to get a lot of updates. I think it is because importing from something else into Houdini is a lot more common than exporting from Houdini into some other program. There are times when it might be easier to model in C4D (or Maya or Blender or Modo...) and import that into Houdini. Personally, I do almost all my modeling directly in Houdini, but some like non procedural modeling or use something like Zbrush. The benefits of Houdini are that you can take a model from some other 3D app and do a lot more with fluids, particles, etc. There isn't much reason to bring it back out of Houdini into another 3D program.

If you are good enough to make something that looks good in Houdini, you probably know Houdini well enough to get good renders there. The only exception I know is the NPR options in Houdini. I haven't found any that match C4D's sketch and toon, so I sometimes export from Houdini and do a NPR render in Blender. (I don't have C4D anymore and Blender works pretty well for NPR with the right nodes).

grain sim.hiplc

8 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Hey yall, 

What options do I have?

Alembic?

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

Try a quick render in Houdini of this. I just changed the sphere from polygon to primitive and added a color node set to random.

For what it is worth, the Houdini engine for C4D doesn't seem to get a lot of updates. I think it is because importing from something else into Houdini is a lot more common than exporting from Houdini into some other program. There are times when it might be easier to model in C4D (or Maya or Blender or Modo...) and import that into Houdini. Personally, I do almost all my modeling directly in Houdini, but some like non procedural modeling or use something like Zbrush. The benefits of Houdini are that you can take a model from some other 3D app and do a lot more with fluids, particles, etc. There isn't much reason to bring it back out of Houdini into another 3D program.

If you are good enough to make something that looks good in Houdini, you probably know Houdini well enough to get good renders there. The only exception I know is the NPR options in Houdini. I haven't found any that match C4D's sketch and toon, so I sometimes export from Houdini and do a NPR render in Blender. (I don't have C4D anymore and Blender works pretty well for NPR with the right nodes).

grain sim.hiplc 826.19 kB · 0 downloads

Hey thanks a lot! I will take a look at your files and follow ur advise

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, Midphase said:

Alembic?

It's greyed out for whatever reason. 

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

grain sim.hiplc 826.19 kB · 0 downloads

Quite frankly I've only started with Houdini a few days ago haha, so to me at the moment it looks like this:

hds.thumb.jpg.d5102f72f02cdafc33b2c88a159ca83b.jpg

What did strike me though, is that granular (grain) solver worked a breeze in Houdini using Vellum Grain solver. Tried simulate the same with Cloner Object in C4D and obviously it crashed. Hence I was so interested in simulations in Houdini to be then exported to C4d for texture and rendering purposes. 

8 hours ago, Midphase said:

Alembic?

The file suggests that Houdini Apprentice was used. As far as I know that doesn't allow Alembic export and Houdini Engine is also not an option in this case. You would need a commercial (at least Indie) license. 

I agree that abc export and Houdini Engine is not an option in Houdini Apprentice, but you won't miss much with those limitations. I had the same impression about the complexity of Houdini when I started and twice gave up on it. At this point, I actually find it much easier than dealing with the frustrations of the limitations of other programs.

But if you want to solve your issue with moving something from Houdini to C4D, don't start with a vellum node. If you knew Blender and had never used C4D and tried to jump into a file that had a lot of Xpresso code and mograph, it would look a little intimidating. Instead, add a cube/box to Houdini, double click the node to get into geometry mode, (not scene mode) select a couple faces and add a polyextrude node and increase the "distance" setting from 0 to some small number. Then right click the polyextrude node and select "Save". Name it "test.obj" and make sure you select a directory you can find. Then see if you can import this into C4D. If you can, then try something a bit more complex, remembering that Houdini (and a few other programs like Modo) can render points or curves. These will not render in C4D, which needs some sort of polygon surface.

FWIW, right clicking the first node (box) and selecting "save" will export a cube object. Right clicking the second node (the polyextrude) and selecting "save" will allow you to export an extruded cube object. You can also click the right edge of each node icon to go through the steps of building the model. That is essential for learning Houdini.

When I used C4D, I often kind of - sort of understood 3D modeling. Houdini is not kind, when that is the case. For example, you can add a sphere in C4D and then click render, and it will render a sphere. Currently, Houdini is pretty good at filling in the steps you didn't do in recent versions, but in previous versions, unless you also added a material and UV maps and a light and a camera (to use for rendering) and a render node to specify settings - it would sometimes crash or give weird results. C4D generally gives you a UV map by default. Houdini generally doesn't. I think these are some of the reasons people find Houdini hard to learn. In the end, it may not be fun for you to work in Houdini, but adding Xpresso or Mel code or whatever to fix limitations or buying numerous plugins can be even more difficult. I found that in C4D and Modo that the Nurbs or procedural options only got me so far and most models required that I make these editable polygon meshes. At that point, one couldn't go back and tweak earlier steps. There is no such limitation in Houdini.

Here is a quick video of how to move something simple from Houdini into C4D: 

StartHere.hiplc